Momentum and continuity equation

In summary, the conversation is about a fluid mechanics question with a provided link to the question. The individual is seeking help with part a) of the question and has used the continuity equation to find v1 and v2. They are unsure about the next step and have been given a hint to use the continuity, Bernoulli's, and momentum equations to solve the problem.
andyb1990

Homework Statement

Follow the link to see the question,

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2246/fluidquestion.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

currently I can't do part a) but from using part a) I can obtain the forces acting on the cone by using the first part of the equation (ρQ^2/2*A2) and then the force acting on the nozzle by using all of the equation,

for part a) I currently have used the continuity equation to work out what v1 and v2

v1= 0.764 m/s and v2= 8.475 m/s

then I am stuck as what to do with bernoulli's equation if that is the correct next step?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
andyb1990 said:

Homework Statement

Follow the link to see the question,

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2246/fluidquestion.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

currently I can't do part a) but from using part a) I can obtain the forces acting on the cone by using the first part of the equation (ρQ^2/2*A2) and then the force acting on the nozzle by using all of the equation,

for part a) I currently have used the continuity equation to work out what v1 and v2

v1= 0.764 m/s and v2= 8.475 m/s

then I am stuck as what to do with bernoulli's equation if that is the correct next step?

Is this question from a take-home exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
no, They are old exam questions to help us revise.

Hint:

You have 3 equations to work with.

1. Continuity equation relates velocities to flow Q.
2. Bernoulli's equation relates velocities to pressure.
3. Momentum equation relates velocities to pressure force and bolt force.

Use all three and you will get the posted answer.

Momentum and continuity equations are fundamental principles in fluid mechanics that govern the behavior of fluids in motion. The continuity equation states that the mass of a fluid remains constant within a closed system, meaning that the mass flow rate at any point in the system must be equal. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of mass and is essential in analyzing the flow of fluids in pipes, nozzles, and other systems.

The momentum equation, on the other hand, is based on the principle of conservation of momentum and states that the total momentum of a fluid remains constant within a closed system. This equation takes into account the forces acting on the fluid, such as pressure, gravity, and viscous forces, and is used to analyze the motion of fluids in different situations.

In the given question, the continuity equation can be used to determine the velocities at points 1 and 2, using the given mass flow rate and cross-sectional areas. Once these velocities are known, the momentum equation can be used to calculate the forces acting on the cone and the nozzle. This can be done by plugging in the known values for velocity, density, and area into the equation.

In terms of using Bernoulli's equation, this can be used to analyze the pressure changes in the fluid as it moves through the system. This equation takes into account the potential, kinetic, and pressure energies of the fluid and can be useful in understanding the behavior of the fluid at different points in the system.

Overall, the combination of the continuity and momentum equations, along with Bernoulli's equation, can provide a comprehensive analysis of the fluid flow in the given system. By using these principles, a scientist can gain a better understanding of the forces and pressures acting on the fluid and how it behaves as it moves through the system.

1. What is the momentum equation?

The momentum equation is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and momentum. It states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the force acting on the object multiplied by the time interval over which the force acts.

2. How is momentum conserved in a system?

Momentum is conserved in a system when there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total momentum of all the objects in the system remains constant, even if individual objects within the system are experiencing changes in momentum.

3. What is the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is a mathematical expression of the principle of conservation of mass. It states that the rate of change of mass in a system is equal to the net flow of mass into or out of the system. In other words, the amount of mass entering a system must equal the amount of mass leaving the system.

4. How is the continuity equation related to fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, the continuity equation is used to describe the relationship between the velocity and cross-sectional area of a fluid as it flows through a pipe or channel. It states that the product of the fluid's velocity and cross-sectional area must remain constant along the flow.

5. Can the momentum and continuity equations be applied to all systems?

Yes, the momentum and continuity equations are fundamental principles in physics and can be applied to all systems, including both solid and fluid systems. These equations are used extensively in fields such as mechanics, fluid dynamics, and thermodynamics to analyze and predict the behavior of various systems.