Momentum of an 8 kg bowling ball rolling at 2 m/s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
sweetpea1993
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Momentum! eww

A) what is the momentum of an 8-kg bowling bowl rolling at 2- m/s?
I got this answer which in p=16 kg times m/s

B)If the bowling bowl rolls into a pillow and stops in 0.5 sec, calculate the average force it exerts in the pillow?

C)What is the average force that the pillow exerts on the ball?

please hwlp i have no idea!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

sweetpea1993 said:
B)If the bowling bowl rolls into a pillow and stops in 0.5 sec, calculate the average force it exerts in the pillow?

C)What is the average force that the pillow exerts on the ball?

Hi sweetpea1993! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Force = rate of change of momentum. :wink:
 


hey,
yes I know this but I'm not for sure how to put the numbers into the equation..
nice names lol :)
 
sweetpea1993 said:
… I'm not for sure how to put the numbers into the equation..

?? :confused:

rate of change of momentum = change of momentum divided by time. :smile:
 


yeah... okay so (8kg times 2m/s)- what's u stand for??
grrr i have a headache
 


HEY! I figured it out... you take the 16 which converts into Newtons times sec times 0.5 which gives you 8 Newtons!
 
sweetpea1993 said:
HEY! I figured it out... you take the 16 which converts into Newtons times sec times 0.5 which gives you 8 Newtons!

(just got up :zzz: …)

No, force = change of momentum divided by time.