Momentum density in curvilinear coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for momentum density in theoretical fluid dynamics and the inclusion of the term √g in the equation. This term is necessary for a manifestly covariant description of the volume element in terms of the position-vector components. The conversation also covers the definition of the Levi-Civita symbol and the transformation matrix between general and Cartesian coordinates. The final equation shows the relationship between mass-current-density and momentum density.
daxowax
Hi,

In an article on theoretical fluid dynamics I recently came across the following equation:

$$M_i = \sqrt{g} \rho v_i$$

where ##M_i## denotes momentum density, ##v_i## velocity, ##\rho## the mass density and g is the determinant of the metric tensor. It is probably quite obvious, but I do not get why you have to put the ##\sqrt{g}## in there. Aren't both densities related to the same volume form? I would appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##\vec{b}_i## (##i \in \{1,2,3 \}##) denote any basis of ##\mathbb{R}^3## (it can also be a basis defined locally by generalized coordinates) and ##\vec{e}_i## arbitrary Cartesian coordinates. Further define the coordinates of the position vector as
$$\vec{x}=\tilde{x}^i \vec{b}_i=x^j \vec{e}_j.$$
Now we need a manifestly covariant description of the volume element. In Cartesian coordinates we simply have
$$\mathrm{d}V=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\mathrm{d} x^1 \mathrm{d} x^2 \mathrm{d} x^3.$$
The trick is to rewrite this as
$$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\Delta_{jkl} \mathrm{d} x^j \mathrm{d} x^k \mathrm{d} x^l,$$
where ##\Delta_{jkl}## is the Levi-Civita symbol, which is totally antisymmetric under interchange of its indices and ##\Delta_{123}=1##.

Unfortunately the Levi-Civita symbol is not a general tensor, because defining the transformation matrix between the general and the Cartesial coordinates as
$${T^j}_k=\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial \tilde{x}_k}$$
we have
$$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\Delta_{jkl} {T^{j}}_{j'} {T^{k}}_{k'} {T^{l}}_{l'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{j'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{k'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{l'}=\det \hat{T} \mathrm{d} \Delta_{j'k'l'} \tilde{x}^{j'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{k'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{l'},$$
i.e., you get the Jacobian of the transformation in addition, as it must be for the proper transformation of the volume element. I assume that this determinant is positive (i.e., that the orientation of the basis ##\vec{b}_j## is the same as that of the Cartesian basis ##\vec{e}_j##, which you can always get by choosing the right order of the basis vectors).

Now we have a Euclidean space, i.e., there is the scalar product. In Cartesian components it's simply represented by ##\delta_{jk}##, i.e., you have for any two vectors ##\vec{x}## and ##\vec{y}##
$$\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y} = \delta_{jk} x^j y^k=\delta_{jk} {T^{j}}_{j'} {T^{k}}_{k'} \tilde{x}^j \tilde{y}^k := g_{j'k'} \tilde{x}^j \tilde{y}^k.$$
In matrix-vector notation you thus have
$$\hat{g}=\hat{T}^t \hat{T} \; \Rightarrow g=\det{\hat{g}}=(\det \hat{T})^2.$$
So you can write the volume element as
$$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\det T \Delta_{j'k'l'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{j'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{k'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{l'} = \sqrt{g} \Delta_{j'k'l'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{j'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{k'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{l'}.$$
Since for Cartesian coordinates ##g_{jk}=\delta_{jk}## we can define the Levi-Civita tensor components as an invariant tensor via
$$\epsilon_{jkl}=\sqrt{g} \Delta_{jkl}.$$
Then the general covariant definition of the volume element in terms of the position-vector components reads
$$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} =\epsilon_{jkl} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^j \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^k \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^l.$$
Now if you have a scalar density (like mass density ##\rho(\vec{x})## in non-relativistic fluid dynamics), a mass element in a small volume around ##\vec{x}## is given by [corrected according to #3]
$$\mathrm{d} m=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \rho(\vec{x})=\sqrt{g} \rho \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3.$$
For the mass-current-density then you have [corrected according to #3]
$$\mathrm{d} m v^i= \sqrt{g} \rho v^i \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3.$$

Last edited:
Likes daxowax and dextercioby
Thank you a lot for this elaborate answer! It helped me very much to understand these calculations. In the second last equation, you wrote
vanhees71 said:
$$\mathrm{d} m=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \rho(\vec{x})=\sqrt{g} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3.$$

I believe this was a typing error, and it should be $$ \mathrm{d} m=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \rho(\vec{x})=\sqrt{g} \rho \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3$$Therefore, the last equation should say $$\mathrm{d} m v^i= \sqrt{g} \rho v^i \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3$$ Since ##\mathrm{d} m v^i## is the momentum of a fluid parcel and momentum density (or mass-current-density) ##M_i## is defined via ##\mathrm{d} m v^i = M_i \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3##, by comparing the equations we get $$M_i = \sqrt{g} \rho v^i$$ Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Sure, I'll correct the typos in the original posting too!

What is momentum density in curvilinear coordinates?

Momentum density in curvilinear coordinates is a physical quantity that describes the distribution of momentum in a given region of space. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of momentum and is an important concept in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

How is momentum density calculated in curvilinear coordinates?

Momentum density in curvilinear coordinates is calculated using the momentum density vector, which is a vector field that assigns a momentum density value to every point in space. It is expressed as the product of the mass density and velocity vector, or in mathematical notation as ρv.

What are the applications of momentum density in curvilinear coordinates?

Momentum density in curvilinear coordinates has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It is used to study and predict the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields, as well as in the development of quantum mechanical models.

How does momentum density change in different curvilinear coordinate systems?

The momentum density vector can be represented differently in different curvilinear coordinate systems, but its physical meaning remains the same. The components of the vector may vary depending on the chosen coordinate system, but the overall distribution of momentum in space will remain unchanged.

What are some challenges in using momentum density in curvilinear coordinates?

One of the main challenges in using momentum density in curvilinear coordinates is the complexity of the mathematical equations involved. The vector calculus involved in calculating and manipulating momentum density can be difficult to grasp, and it requires a strong understanding of curvilinear coordinate systems.