1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Momentum density in curvilinear coordinates

1. Sep 4, 2016 #1
    Hi,

In an article on theoretical fluid dynamics I recently came across the following equation:

$$M_i = \sqrt{g} \rho v_i$$

where ##M_i## denotes momentum density, ##v_i## velocity, ##\rho## the mass density and g is the determinant of the metric tensor. It is probably quite obvious, but I do not get why you have to put the ##\sqrt{g}## in there. Aren't both densities related to the same volume form? I would appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Let ##\vec{b}_i## (##i \in \{1,2,3 \}##) denote any basis of ##\mathbb{R}^3## (it can also be a basis defined locally by generalized coordinates) and ##\vec{e}_i## arbitrary Cartesian coordinates. Further define the coordinates of the position vector as
    $$\vec{x}=\tilde{x}^i \vec{b}_i=x^j \vec{e}_j.$$
    Now we need a manifestly covariant description of the volume element. In Cartesian coordinates we simply have
    $$\mathrm{d}V=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\mathrm{d} x^1 \mathrm{d} x^2 \mathrm{d} x^3.$$
    The trick is to rewrite this as
    $$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\Delta_{jkl} \mathrm{d} x^j \mathrm{d} x^k \mathrm{d} x^l,$$
    where ##\Delta_{jkl}## is the Levi-Civita symbol, which is totally antisymmetric under interchange of its indices and ##\Delta_{123}=1##.

Unfortunately the Levi-Civita symbol is not a general tensor, because defining the transformation matrix between the general and the Cartesial coordinates as
    $${T^j}_k=\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial \tilde{x}_k}$$
    we have
    $$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\Delta_{jkl} {T^{j}}_{j'} {T^{k}}_{k'} {T^{l}}_{l'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{j'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{k'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{l'}=\det \hat{T} \mathrm{d} \Delta_{j'k'l'} \tilde{x}^{j'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{k'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{l'},$$
    i.e., you get the Jacobian of the transformation in addition, as it must be for the proper transformation of the volume element. I assume that this determinant is positive (i.e., that the orientation of the basis ##\vec{b}_j## is the same as that of the Cartesian basis ##\vec{e}_j##, which you can always get by choosing the right order of the basis vectors).

Now we have a Euclidean space, i.e., there is the scalar product. In Cartesian components it's simply represented by ##\delta_{jk}##, i.e., you have for any two vectors ##\vec{x}## and ##\vec{y}##
    $$\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y} = \delta_{jk} x^j y^k=\delta_{jk} {T^{j}}_{j'} {T^{k}}_{k'} \tilde{x}^j \tilde{y}^k := g_{j'k'} \tilde{x}^j \tilde{y}^k.$$
    In matrix-vector notation you thus have
    $$\hat{g}=\hat{T}^t \hat{T} \; \Rightarrow g=\det{\hat{g}}=(\det \hat{T})^2.$$
    So you can write the volume element as
    $$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}=\det T \Delta_{j'k'l'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{j'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{k'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{l'} = \sqrt{g} \Delta_{j'k'l'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{j'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{k'} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^{l'}.$$
    Since for Cartesian coordinates ##g_{jk}=\delta_{jk}## we can define the Levi-Civita tensor components as an invariant tensor via
    $$\epsilon_{jkl}=\sqrt{g} \Delta_{jkl}.$$
    Then the general covariant definition of the volume element in terms of the position-vector components reads
    $$\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} =\epsilon_{jkl} \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^j \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^k \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^l.$$
    Now if you have a scalar density (like mass density ##\rho(\vec{x})## in non-relativistic fluid dynamics), a mass element in a small volume around ##\vec{x}## is given by [corrected according to #3]
    $$\mathrm{d} m=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \rho(\vec{x})=\sqrt{g} \rho \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3.$$
    For the mass-current-density then you have [corrected according to #3]
    $$\mathrm{d} m v^i= \sqrt{g} \rho v^i \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3.$$

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  4. Sep 5, 2016 #3
    Thank you a lot for this elaborate answer! It helped me very much to understand these calculations. In the second last equation, you wrote
    I believe this was a typing error, and it should be $$ \mathrm{d} m=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \rho(\vec{x})=\sqrt{g} \rho \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3$$Therefore, the last equation should say $$\mathrm{d} m v^i= \sqrt{g} \rho v^i \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3$$ Since ##\mathrm{d} m v^i## is the momentum of a fluid parcel and momentum density (or mass-current-density) ##M_i## is defined via ##\mathrm{d} m v^i = M_i \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^1 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^2 \mathrm{d} \tilde{x}^3##, by comparing the equations we get $$M_i = \sqrt{g} \rho v^i$$ Please correct me if I'm wrong!

5. Sep 6, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, I'll correct the typos in the original posting too!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted