Momentum Eigenstates in 1D Infinite Square Well

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of momentum eigenstates in a 1D infinite square well example. It is argued that due to the confinement of the particle, there is a large uncertainty in momentum which leads to the non-existence of momentum eigenstates. However, for a finite-potential square well, momentum eigenstates still exist. The concept of Hilbert space is also mentioned, where in the case of an infinite well, functions on the interval where the potential is zero are considered, resulting in the absence of momentum eigenstates.
Andy_ToK
Hi,
I have a question about the momentum eigenstates in a 1D infinite square well example. First of all, are there any eigenstates at all in this example?
By explicitly applying the wavefunction(stationary states) which can be easily obtained from the boundary conditions, it can shown that the energy eigenstate doesn't have a corresponding momentum eigenstate(in the free particle case, each energy eigenstate corresponds to a momentum eigenstate)
I believe it's because the particle is confined that it has a large uncertainty in momentum so no momentum eigenstates exist. But I,myself is not very convinced by this argument.
Any input is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you consider a finite-potential square well, then the momentum eigenstates still exist in exactly the same sense that they do for a free particle; they just no longer correspond to the energy eigenstates.

For the infinite well, you could take this to mean that the Hilbert space consists of functions on the interval where the potential is zero. Then there are no momentum eigenstates.

(And I'm being mathematically sloppy; mathematicians would say that momentum eigenstates don't exist even for the free particle because they're not normalizable.)

Thanks, Avodyne, but I'm not sure what u mean by "the Hilbert space consists of functions on the interval where the potential is zero". Could you elaborate a little bit?

If the potential is infinite for (say) |x|>a, then the particle is never allowed to be there; any allowed wavefunction, at any time, must be zero for |x| greater than or equal to a. So, we could take our Hilbert space to be square-integrable functions that vanish for |x| greater than or equal to a. In this Hilbert space, there are no eigenstates of the momentum operator.

What is a momentum eigenstate in a 1D infinite square well?

A momentum eigenstate in a 1D infinite square well is a state in which the particle has a definite momentum value. In other words, the particle's momentum is well-defined and does not change over time.

How is the momentum of a particle described in a 1D infinite square well?

In a 1D infinite square well, the momentum of a particle is described by the wave function, which is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding the particle at a given position and time. The momentum eigenstates are the solutions to the Schrödinger equation for the infinite square well potential.

What is the significance of momentum eigenstates in a 1D infinite square well?

Momentum eigenstates are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the quantized nature of momentum in the infinite square well potential. These states are also used as a basis for describing more complex quantum systems.

How do the momentum eigenstates in a 1D infinite square well relate to energy eigenstates?

The momentum eigenstates and energy eigenstates in a 1D infinite square well are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The momentum eigenstates have a discrete set of values, while the energy eigenstates have a continuous energy spectrum. This relationship is described by the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the momentum of a particle is known, the less precisely its energy can be known, and vice versa.

What are the applications of momentum eigenstates in 1D infinite square wells?

Momentum eigenstates in 1D infinite square wells have various applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of particle behavior and wave-particle duality. They are also used in the development of quantum computing and in the understanding of quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules.