How can I integrate variable velocity in fluid mechanics?

In summary, the individual is looking for resources on understanding linear momentum in fluid mechanics and is struggling with integrating variable velocities. They mention looking for videos and references, specifically mentioning the book Landau and Lifshitz vol. 6 as a helpful resource. They also suggest the book Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot. They acknowledge that appropriate references may vary depending on the student's background.
Guillem_dlc
TL;DR Summary
Material: momentum in fluid mechanics
Do you know of any place where I can look up things about the momentum (linear momentum) in fluid mechanics? It's just that when I have a variable velocity and it has to be integrated, I don't quite understand how to do it.

I have looked for videos and things and I can't find that they are integrating.

Physics news on Phys.org
A very nice book on hydro is Landau and Lifshitz vol. 6.

vanhees71 said:
A very nice book on hydro is Landau and Lifshitz vol. 6.
Okay, thank you very much

Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot

Likes vanhees71
Appropriate references are going to vary by the background of the student.

1. What is momentum in fluid mechanics?

Momentum in fluid mechanics is a measure of the quantity of motion of a fluid. It is the product of the mass and velocity of the fluid, and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated in fluid mechanics?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the fluid by its velocity. In mathematical terms, it can be expressed as P = mv, where P is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum in fluid mechanics?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In fluid mechanics, this means that the total momentum of a fluid in a closed system will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does momentum affect the flow of fluids?

Momentum plays a crucial role in determining the flow of fluids. It is responsible for the pressure and velocity changes in a fluid, and is a key factor in determining the direction and magnitude of fluid flow.

5. What are some real-life applications of momentum in fluid mechanics?

Momentum in fluid mechanics is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in a wide range of applications, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in designing and optimizing various systems, such as pumps, turbines, and aircraft wings.