Momentum in the time direction

In summary, momentum is energy according to the definitions you found. However, this is not always clear because the units differ. The c's are the only constants that are always the same.
snoopies622
I'm trying to understand the stress-energy tensor and I keep seeing the phrase, "momentum in the time direction is energy". I don't understand this. In the definitions of the momentum four-vector that I've found, the time component is the object's rest mass times the speed of light times gamma.

Here's an example:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentumFour-Vector.html

This gives units of momentum, not of energy. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
I'm trying to understand the stress-energy tensor and I keep seeing the phrase, "momentum in the time direction is energy". I don't understand this. In the definitions of the momentum four-vector that I've found, the time component is the object's rest mass times the speed of light times gamma.

Here's an example:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentumFour-Vector.html

This gives units of momentum, not of energy. What am I missing?
You are just missing a conversion factor of c. This is common when using 4-vectors. Remember that the first coordinate of a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-vector" . In this case the timelike component is E/c in order to make it dimensionally consistent with the spacelike momentum components. But E/c is still understood to represent energy in the same way that ct represents time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Momentum is energy flux. Classically (pre-Einstein) one thinks of momentum as the result of movement through space. Consider a particle in its rest frame (v = 0). Is it still moving? Absolutely: It's moving from one second to the next (through time). This is momentum in the time direction.

Schutz's book has a great chapter on this very topic.

Last edited:
Thank you all, especially DaleSpam. I suspected that it was simply a matter of leaving out c (selecting units so that c=1) but wasn't certain.

Up to now I've been confused about how the stress-energy tensor is put together because the components as named (energy density, momentum density, viscosity, etc.) all seem to have different dimensions/units. Are they all actually joules per cubic meter? Are the c's the only invisible constants/variables?

Last edited:

1. What is momentum in the time direction?

Momentum in the time direction refers to the concept of the change in an object's motion over time. It is a measure of how much an object's position changes over a specific period of time.

2. How is momentum in the time direction different from momentum in space?

Momentum in space refers to the change in an object's position or motion in a specific direction. On the other hand, momentum in the time direction is focused on the change in an object's position over a period of time, regardless of the direction.

3. How does momentum in the time direction affect an object's motion?

Momentum in the time direction is a crucial factor in determining an object's motion. It can either increase or decrease an object's speed and change its direction. The larger the momentum in the time direction, the greater the impact on an object's motion.

4. Can momentum in the time direction be negative?

Yes, momentum in the time direction can be negative. This means that an object's position is decreasing over time, resulting in a decrease in speed and a change in direction in the opposite direction of its initial motion.

5. How is momentum in the time direction calculated?

Momentum in the time direction is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. It can be represented by the formula: p = Δx/Δt, where p is the momentum, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.