Momentum of a Fast-Moving Proton

In summary, the participants discussed the magnitude of the velocity vector in a given example. It was noted that although the units of speed or velocity are typically "m/s", the example provided did not include all three vector components. This was seen as a potential mistake in the problem statement.
vanceEE
How was the magnitude of the velocity vector found in the example provided? This is a particle in space so I has 3 coordinates but I am told that the velocity vector is m/s, so wouldn't the magnitude just be 2*10^7 m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1409247788.058706.jpg

Certainly the units of speed or velocity is "m/s" but I see no "example provided".

Just posted it, must be a misprint because three components of the vector would need to be included whether zero or not, so according to the solution, I believe that the author meant that the velocity vector was <2*10^7, 1*10^7, -3*10^7>m/s

The calculation of the momentum ##\vec p## includes the three vector components of velocity as you gave them, so the author must have accidentally given only one of them in the initial problem statement, and nobody caught it during proof-reading.

1. What is the definition of momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion an object has. It is calculated as the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does the momentum of a fast-moving proton differ from a slower-moving one?

The momentum of a fast-moving proton will be greater than that of a slower-moving one, as momentum is directly proportional to an object's velocity. This means that the faster the proton is moving, the greater its momentum will be.

3. Why is the momentum of a fast-moving proton important in particle physics?

In particle physics, fast-moving protons are used in high-energy particle accelerators to study the fundamental building blocks of matter. The high momentum of these protons allows them to collide with other particles at high speeds, revealing new information about the nature of matter.

4. How is the momentum of a fast-moving proton measured?

The momentum of a fast-moving proton can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as tracking its trajectory in a particle accelerator or using detectors to measure the energy and direction of particles after collisions. These measurements can then be used to calculate the proton's momentum.

5. Can the momentum of a fast-moving proton be changed?

Yes, the momentum of a fast-moving proton can be changed through interactions with other particles or forces. For example, in a particle accelerator, magnets are used to steer and accelerate protons, changing their momentum. In collisions, the momentum of protons can also be transferred to other particles, resulting in changes in their motion.