Momentum of a Fast-Moving Proton

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter vanceEE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum Proton
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
vanceEE
Messages
109
Reaction score
2
How was the magnitude of the velocity vector found in the example provided? This is a particle in space so I has 3 coordinates but I am told that the velocity vector is m/s, so wouldn't the magnitude just be 2*10^7 m/s?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1409247788.058706.jpg
 
Certainly the units of speed or velocity is "m/s" but I see no "example provided".
 
Just posted it, must be a misprint because three components of the vector would need to be included whether zero or not, so according to the solution, I believe that the author meant that the velocity vector was <2*10^7, 1*10^7, -3*10^7>m/s
 
The calculation of the momentum ##\vec p## includes the three vector components of velocity as you gave them, so the author must have accidentally given only one of them in the initial problem statement, and nobody caught it during proof-reading.