Momentum of an object exploding into two separate objects

• Thread starter bharat91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves an object with initial kinetic energy K exploding into two pieces, each with twice the speed of the original object. The task is to find the angles of the two velocities relative to the direction of motion before the explosion. Using the conservation of momentum, it can be determined that the two resulting masses must have the same velocity in the vertical direction, but their masses do not necessarily have to be equal. The solutions for unequal masses are more complex and include cases where one mass goes at right angles to the original velocity. A bonus question is also posed, asking for the maximal ratio between the two fragment masses.
bharat91

Homework Statement

An object with kinetic energy K explodes into two pieces, each of which moves with twice the speed of the original object.

Find the angles of the two velocities relative to the direction of motion before the explosion.

Modified question from "Essential University Physics 2nd Ed" by Richard Wolfson, Ch.9 Qu. 22 Page 151.

Homework Equations

Momentum: [itex]\vec{p} = m \times \vec{v} [/itex]

Momentum is conserved within an isolated system where no external forces are acting.

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=60501&stc=1&d=1374775884.png

Above diagram shows the object before explosion as "m1",
and the two objects created afterwards as "m2" and "m3".

[itex] m_1 = m_2 + m_3 [/itex]

Conservation of momentum gives us:

Horizontal: [itex] m_1 v = m_2\ 2v\ cos(θ) + m_3\ 2v\ cos(α) [/itex]

Vertical: [itex] m_2\ 2v\ sin(θ) = m_3\ 2v\ sin(α) [/itex]

Intuitively, if both resulting objects have the same velocity, and with no other data given, I would tend to think that the angles are the same as each other, and both masses are equal. Apparently this is the correct answer.

I don't understand why. I've tried a multitude of textbooks and worked examples. As far as I can gather, it is somehow related to the centre of mass of the system.

But in my mind, if I change the two resulting masses to be uneven, you can set the angles in such a way that the resulting centre of mass is still correct.

(As this is an isolated system with no external forces, the motion of the centre of mass remains unchanged after the explosion).

Manipulating the equations doesn't result in anything that I thought was useful in helping me along. I was hoping someone here could nudge me in the right direction, and help to explain the concepts involved? Thanks in advance.

Bharat.

Attachments

• shree-diagram.png
    shree-diagram.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,583
Physics news on Phys.org
Intuitively, if both resulting objects have the same velocity, and with no other data given, I would tend to think that the angles are the same as each other, and both masses are equal. Apparently this is the correct answer.

Consider the momentum in the vertical direction (y axis) before and after. There is no momentum in that plane before the explosion so the net momentum afterwards must also be zero. If the masses are the same then the y component of their velocity must be the same magnitude but opposite sign.

I'll let you do the horizontal direction (x axis).

Yup, I get that, but why must their masses be the same? That's the bit I don't understand.

bharat91 said:
Yup, I get that, but why must their masses be the same? That's the bit I don't understand.
I agree - there's not enough information.
I note that it tells you the KE beforehand, and you can determine the added energy from the explosion, but I don't see that that gets you anywhere.
To prove there's not enough information, specify some ratio of the masses and demonstrate a solution satisfying all conditions.

Not necessary the two masses have to be equal. But I think that's a given. Using that, the angles have to be calculated.

With equal masses, it is easy, as the system is symmetric and the horizontal component is trivial to evaluate.

The solutions with unequal masses are much more interesting.
Bonus question: what is the maximal ratio between the two fragment masses?

mfb said:
The solutions with unequal masses are much more interesting.
Bonus question: what is the maximal ratio between the two fragment masses?
Yes, that's an interesting case. Another is where one of the masses goes at right angles to the original velocity.

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in an explosion?

In an explosion, the total momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the total momentum of the two separate objects after the explosion must be equal to the momentum of the original object before the explosion.

3. Does the mass of the objects affect the momentum of the explosion?

Yes, the mass of the objects does affect the momentum of the explosion. The heavier object will have a greater momentum, and therefore will have a greater impact on the total momentum of the system.

4. How does the velocity of the objects affect the momentum of the explosion?

The velocity of the objects also plays a role in the momentum of the explosion. A higher velocity will result in a higher momentum, and a lower velocity will result in a lower momentum.

5. What happens to the momentum of the objects after the explosion?

After the explosion, the two objects will have their own individual momentums. However, the total momentum of the system will still be conserved, meaning that the sum of the two individual momentums will equal the momentum of the original object before the explosion.