Momentum of Astronaut and Satellite

In summary, the initial distance from the shuttle to the astronaut was approximately 13.7 meters, after the astronaut pushed a 1200-kg satellite with a speed of 0.14 m/s directly away from the shuttle for seven-and-a-half seconds. The calculation involves using the equation (m1)(v1) = (m2)(v2) to find the distance traveled (d) by the astronaut, where m1 and v1 represent the mass and velocity of the satellite, and m2 and v2 represent the mass and velocity of the astronaut. It is important to double-check all numbers and decimal places in the calculation to ensure accuracy. Additionally, considering the direction and sign of the velocity is necessary for a thorough
LastXdeth

Homework Statement

A 92-kg astronaut and a 1200-kg satellite are at rest relative to the space shuttle. The astronaut pushes on the satellite, giving it a speed of 0.14 m/s directly away from the shuttle. Seven-and-a-half seconds later the astronaut comes into contact with the shuttle. What was the initial distance from the shuttle to the astronaut?

Homework Equations

(m1)(v1) = (m2)(v2)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1200)(14)=(92)(v2)

(v2)=182.61

d= vt

d=182.61*7

d=1278.26 m (Is this right?)

Physics news on Phys.org
LastXdeth said:
d=1278.26 m (Is this right?)
What does your gut tell you about that answer? How far is that?

Does that seem right - considering the velocity and time involved?

If no, go back and check all your numbers.
And your decimals.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
What does your gut tell you about that answer? How far is that?

Does that seem right - considering the velocity and time involved?

If no, go back and check all your numbers.
And your decimals.

Oh, wow, another careless mistake like on my previous question...So, besides the "decimal manipulation", are there any other errors like lack of vectors (negative and positive). I am having a dilemma on whether to make v1 negative since it's going the opposite direction.

LastXdeth said:
Oh, wow, another careless mistake like on my previous question...So, besides the "decimal manipulation", are there any other errors like lack of vectors (negative and positive). I am having a dilemma on whether to make v1 negative since it's going the opposite direction.
There's also a delta-t issue.

As for neg and psotive, I suppose it depends on how rigorous you need your work to be. If you just need to supply the value, it'll work out.

DaveC426913 said:
There's also a delta-t issue.

As for neg and psotive, I suppose it depends on how rigorous you need your work to be. If you just need to supply the value, it'll work out.

I guess I just need the scaler quantity. Thanks for notcing my Δt error also. I need to read the questions more carefully.

By the way, I got my answer to be 13.725 meters if someone can confirm.

LastXdeth said:
I guess I just need the scaler quantity. Thanks for notcing my Δt error also. I need to read the questions more carefully.

By the way, I got my answer to be 13.725 meters if someone can confirm.
Hm. I get 13.7 - and that's rounded up from 13.695.

Ah. I see. Sig digs.
I did 1.826*7.5.
You did 1.83*7.5 = 13.725.

Well, it still rounds to 13.7.

DaveC426913 said:
Hm. I get 13.7 - and that's rounded up from 13.696.

It's just my lazy rounding error. Thanks for the confirmation!

1. What is momentum in relation to an astronaut and satellite?

Momentum is the measure of the amount of motion an object has. In the case of an astronaut and satellite, momentum refers to the combined motion of both objects.

2. How is the momentum of an astronaut and satellite calculated?

The momentum of an object is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity (p = mv). In the case of an astronaut and satellite, the combined momentum would be the sum of their individual momentums.

3. Can the momentum of an astronaut and satellite change?

Yes, the momentum of an astronaut and satellite can change. This can happen when external forces, such as gravity or thrust, act on the objects, altering their mass or velocity and therefore their momentum.

4. Why is momentum important for astronauts and satellites in space?

Momentum is important for astronauts and satellites in space because it determines how much force is needed to change their motion. This is crucial for controlling their movement and maintaining their orbits.

5. How does the momentum of an astronaut and satellite affect their interactions with each other?

The momentum of an astronaut and satellite affects their interactions with each other in a collision. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of the system (astronaut and satellite) remains constant, meaning that if one object gains momentum, the other must lose an equal amount.