Conservation of Momentum homework help

In summary, Conservation of Momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a system. It is calculated using the equation m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f and cannot be violated. Some real-life applications include car crashes, sports, rocket propulsion, and industrial design.
court2011

Homework Statement

A 93 kg astronaut and a 1500 kg satellite are at rest relative to the space shuttle. The astronaut pushes on the satellite, giving it a speed of 0.16 m/s directly away from the shuttle. Seven-and-a-half seconds later the astronaut comes into contact with the shuttle. What was the initial distance from the shuttle to the astronaut?

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex]F= [tex]\Delta[/tex]p/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the conservation of momentum Pi=Pf when there are no external forces to find the velocity of the astronaut. Then use speed=distance/time to find the distance.

To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant if there is no external force acting on the system. In this case, the system consists of the astronaut, satellite, and shuttle. Initially, the total momentum of the system is zero since all three objects are at rest. After the astronaut pushes the satellite, the total momentum remains zero, but the satellite now has a momentum of 240 kg m/s (calculated by multiplying its mass of 1500 kg by its velocity of 0.16 m/s).

Using the conservation of momentum equation, we can set the initial momentum of the system equal to the final momentum:
0 = 240 kg m/s + ma, where ma is the momentum of the astronaut after coming into contact with the shuttle.

Since the astronaut and shuttle are now in contact, they will have the same velocity. We can use the fact that the astronaut and shuttle have the same mass to set up another equation:
ma(0.16 m/s) = (93 kg + ma)(0.16 m/s)

Solving for ma, we get a value of 93 kg for the momentum of the astronaut.

Now, we can use this value to solve for the initial distance between the astronaut and the shuttle. We can use the equation for distance, d = v0t + (1/2)at^2, where v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. Since we know the initial velocity and time, we can solve for the initial distance:
d = (0.16 m/s)(7.5 s) + (1/2)(0)(7.5 s)^2 = 0.6 m

Therefore, the initial distance between the astronaut and the shuttle was 0.6 meters.

What is Conservation of Momentum?

Conservation of Momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum of the system before and after a collision or interaction remains the same.

Why is Conservation of Momentum important?

Conservation of Momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a system. It allows us to analyze collisions and interactions between objects and determine the resulting velocities and directions of motion.

How is Conservation of Momentum calculated?

Conservation of Momentum is calculated using the equation:

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities.

Can Conservation of Momentum be violated?

No, Conservation of Momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. In a closed system, the total momentum must remain constant. However, in open systems, external forces can act on the objects and cause changes in momentum.

What are some real-life applications of Conservation of Momentum?

Conservation of Momentum has many real-life applications, such as in car crashes, sports, and rocket propulsion. It is also used in industries, such as in designing efficient machines and predicting the trajectory of projectiles.