Momentum Op & Complex Num i: Exploring the Connection

In summary, the complex number i is involved in defining the momentum operator p because it is used in the derivation of the operator from Galilaian invariance and also relates to the kinetic energy of a particle in a confined space. It is used to make the operator real-valued and has a meaning related to the square root of the kinetic energy.
dpa
why is complex number i involved in defining momentum operator p
I mean Px=-ih...
What has complex number to do with momentum.

I do get however that i in other cases of quantum mechanics has to do with euler's formula that comes from harmonic nature of wave.

Physics news on Phys.org
dpa said:
why is complex number i involved in defining momentum operator p
I mean Px=-ih...
What has complex number to do with momentum.

I do get however that i in other cases of quantum mechanics has to do with euler's formula that comes from harmonic nature of wave.

Its not a matter of definition - you can actually derive it from Galilaian invariance - you can find the derivation in Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development. But aside from that the derivative part is a pure imaginary operator and real valued operators should - well be real - multiplying it by i makes it real.

Thanks
Bill

And if you think about it from the perspective of kinetic energy, you can say the same thing like this. Confining a particle in a small region requires giving the particle kinetic energy, and it also requires getting the particle's wave function to have a negative second derivative (so you can get the wavefunction to be large in the confined region and small outside of it). Since KE ~ P2, the momentum must inherit a meaning related to the square root of the kinetic energy. The square root of a second derivative is like d/dx, but a square root of a minus second derivative is like i d/dx.

1. What is momentum in physics and how does it relate to complex numbers?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In physics, momentum is often represented by the letter p. The concept of momentum is closely related to complex numbers through the use of vector calculus. Complex numbers can be used to represent the magnitude and direction of an object's momentum, making them a useful tool in analyzing physical systems.

2. How are complex numbers used to describe rotational motion and momentum?

In rotational motion, an object's momentum is described by both its magnitude and direction. This is where complex numbers come in handy, as they can be used to represent both the magnitude and direction of momentum. Using complex numbers, we can easily calculate the total momentum of a rotating object and analyze its motion.

3. Can complex numbers be used to describe the momentum of a system with multiple objects?

Yes, complex numbers can be used to describe the momentum of a system with multiple objects. In this case, the complex number would represent the total momentum of the system, taking into account the momentum of each individual object and their respective directions. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the system's motion.

4. How does the concept of complex numbers help in understanding conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal changes. Complex numbers help in understanding this concept by providing a mathematical tool to analyze the total momentum of a system and how it changes over time. This allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of physical systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using complex numbers to analyze momentum?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using complex numbers to analyze momentum. One example is in the field of quantum mechanics, where complex numbers are used to describe the momentum of subatomic particles such as electrons. Additionally, complex numbers are also used in engineering and physics to analyze the momentum of fluid flow, such as in aerodynamics and fluid dynamics.