Momentum or Kinetic Energy to find Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of momentum and kinetic energy calculations to find the acceleration of a craft being propelled by charged particles. While both calculations are similar, they result in drastically different values. The cause of this discrepancy is attributed to the fact that the internal forces can change the total kinetic energy, making it not conserved. The conversation also mentions the use of relativistic equations and the need to consider the changing momentum when calculating thrust. Ultimately, the correct formula for finding acceleration must take into account the rate of change of momentum and not just the momentum itself.
In the nonrelativistic limit
KE =E say = (p^2)/(2m) We have
dE/dt = [{2p(dp/dt)}/2m
So Force = [(dp/dt)/m] = (1/p)*(dE/dt)
So no square roots please!

Physics news on Phys.org
God Plays Dice said:
Hi all,

I have charged particles (protons) accelerated by an electric field. If I add up all the momentum and find the change in momentum per sec I can find the acceleration of my craft by
dp/dt /M = a

If I add up all the kinetic energy of the particles and find the KE per sec, I can find the acceleration by
Sqrt (KE/t /0.5*M) = a

They are both similar calcs but give wildly different values. KE calc is 10^9 bigger.

So which is it? KE or p to find acceleration?
at that magnitude dp/dt =mdv/dt + vdm/dt i.e ma + vdm/dt.
here m = Mo/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2),
Mo is rest mass of the particle.
Please try this.