Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water for Just $37.99 CAD

• Thread starter 256bits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, people bought Hot Dog Water because it was advertised as a way to lose weight and support electrolyte balance. However, the drink is not actually healthy and has a steep price tag.
256bits
Gold Member
would be a terrific playing softly in the background.

Hot Dog Water.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/wellness/people-bought-dollar38-hot-dog-water-said-to-support-weight-loss-%E2%80%94-and-they-were-in-for-a-rude-awakening/ar-AAyYr6f?li=AAggV0S&OCID=ansmsnnews11

"We've created a recipe, having a lot of people put a lot of effort into research and a lot of people with backgrounds in science really creating the best version of Hot Dog Water that we could," self-styled Hot Dog Water CEO Douglas Bevans told Global News.

"So the protein of the Hot Dog Water helps your body uptake the water content, and the sodium and all the things you'd need post-workout," Bevans added

In addition,
The marketing materials for the drink also promised it to be gluten-free and rich in sodium and electrolytes.

"Hot Dog Water is the NEW coconut water!" read one apparent testimonial from Dr. Cynthia Dringus, "Nobel Prize-winning nutritionist."

makes my mouth water already!

apparently, so it did for some others,
"They've been drinking it for hours," he said. "We have gone through about 60 liters of real hot dog water."

Only 37.99$ CAD a bottle, ( about 28$US )
That's a bargain. No need to be making this at home anymore, or having to pour down the drain a bad batch that went south somehow and not fit for human consumption.

I can see a sharp and imaginative entrepreneur cashing on similar products.
Such as freshly brewed potatoe water, and dish-water ( throw out that energy hog automatic dishwasher and do it the old fashion way for a natural soul cleansing nutrient rich liquid lunch ).

Disclaimer:
"Hot Dog Water in its absurdity hopes to encourage critical thinking related to product marketing and the significant role it can play in our purchasing choices."

But then, whoever needs to pay attention to that!

Likes DrClaude
Physics news on Phys.org
No.

Likes 256bits and Bystander
The only meaning for this hot-dog water product is to make people invite people to think "critically" about marketing of "health products". No other meaningful value than that - just based on a quick look at the first linked article.

Last edited:
Likes 256bits
256bits said:
Only 37.99$ CAD a bottle, ( about 28$US )
That's a bargain.
And that's nothing: they have a father's day special, two bottles for 75$ !

256bits said:
I can see a sharp and imaginative entrepreneur cashing on similar products.
The entire point of the stunt is that this is already the case! II'd give you a list of such products, but that would be against PF rules on discussing pseudoscience, even if it is to debunk it...

Likes 256bits
DrClaude said:
The entire point of the stunt is that this is already the case
I did actually write tongue-in-check about the mouth watering, potato and dish water, but who knows...

Marketing seems to trump usefulness and quality over and over as a means to separate people from their wealth.
Or maybe people just have too too much money, and people bought this thing as a novelty item, which we don't know, as there is no reference as to why of the purchase(s).

symbolipoint said:
The only meaning for this hot-dog water product is to make people invite people to think "critically" about marketing of "health products". No other meaningful value than than - just based on a quick look at the first linked article.
So he says. Which is his the justification for putting the product out there? Did he prove his point. I am not so sure.
What is the justification for a purchase? That can be different. A souvenir from Vancouver, for tourists. "I was in Vancouver and I bought this!"

It's a fair event, with a booth, and what looks like a hot dog man ( mannequin ). The economics might not play out exactly the same as to that inside for store bought purchases. Or mail order or internet purchases where one can look but not feel.
Is there a name for that - niche economics perhaps.

I think there might be something different going on here other than just a display of peoples gullibility and indiscriminate buying decisions.

( which is one reason for a separate thread rather than putting it in the weird news story topic )

russ_watters said:
No.
You mean Nooooooooo!. Not another one! ( useless product ) ( showing desperation )
( I know what you mean, but hey, our Prime Minister was a drama teacher at one point.

Likes russ_watters
256bits said:
would be a terrific playing softly in the background.
Dang you! I've had that song stuck in my head all morning now! o0)

Likes 256bits
256bits said:
I think there might be something different going on here other than just a display of peoples gullibility and indiscriminate buying decisions.

Good point. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath...er...water.

Likes 256bits
Behavioral economics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_economics.
or
https://www.behavioraleconomics.com/introduction-behavioral-economics/

A case of "here-and now" decision making, which may be part of the Time Discounting and Present Bias.

I would tend to think that the purchase as a novelty item was available, and if a transaction not immediately ( relatively ) made, the offering would be lost forever, or at the very least, the possibility greatly diminished, increasing its at the moment utility over a delayed purchase.

No doubting the impulse for a novelty, but high price should discourage most people from buying something like that. Maybe this then underestimates the power of human stupi----.

I think the Impractical Jokers may have seen this 'idea' coming:

(note to mods: truTV owns this channel and runs the associated TV show. enjoy )

1. What is "Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water"?

"Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water" is a product that was sold at the Car Free Day festival in Vancouver, Canada in 2018. It was marketed as a health drink and claimed to provide numerous health benefits such as weight loss, increased brain function, and anti-aging properties. However, it was later revealed to be a satirical commentary on the wellness industry.

2. How much does "Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water" cost?

The product was sold for $37.99 CAD per bottle at the Car Free Day festival. However, it was intended as a joke and the high price was part of the satire. The creator of the product stated that the high price was meant to make people question the ridiculous prices of some health products.

3. Is "Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water" safe to drink?

Despite the claims made by the product, "Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water" is not safe to drink. The creator of the product has stated that it was never intended to be consumed and was only meant to be a commentary on the lack of regulation in the wellness industry.

4. What were the health claims of "Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water"?

The product claimed to help with weight loss, increase brain function, and have anti-aging properties. However, these claims were not backed by any scientific evidence and were intended as a joke to highlight the false promises made by some products in the wellness industry.

5. Was "Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water" ever actually sold?

Yes, "Money For Nothing: Hot Dog Water" was sold at the Car Free Day festival in Vancouver in 2018. However, it was intended as a joke and the creator has stated that it was never meant to be consumed. It was later revealed to be a satirical commentary on the wellness industry.

Back