Monotone Limit at Endpoints a and b?

• Thread starter kathrynag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that a monotone function f has a limit at the endpoints a and b. The approach suggested is to show that for any sequence (xk) that approaches b, the sequence (f(xk)) also converges, and to do the same for a from the right. It is then mentioned that different sequences may have different limits.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

let f: [a,b] ---> R be monotone. Prove that f has a limit at a and b.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here is my proof:
We need to show that f has a limit at a and b.
Consider f:[a,b]--> R where f is increasing. Now for all x elements of [a,b] f(a)<f(x)<f(b), hence f is bounded and by the monotonocity, f cannot be oscillatory. Suppose x1<x2<...xk. Then f(a)<f(x1)<f(x2)...<f(xk)<f(b). So limx-->xk f(x)=f(xk)<f(b)and f has a limit at b. Then Limx-->x1 f(x)=f(x1)>f(a) and f has a limit at a.

I'm not so sure about this one...

Physics news on Phys.org
kathrynag said:
I'm not so sure about this one...

Me neither.

What you want to show is that if you have a sequence [itex](x_k)_{k\geq 0}[/itex] with [itex]x_k\to b[/itex] then the sequence [itex](f(x_k))_{k\geq 0}[/itex] converges. This sequence does not need to converge to f(b) which would mean that f is continuous at b - a fact which might not generally be true and which you are not asked to prove.

As for what you have done so far: I can see only few things there which are correct.

You said [itex]\lim_{x\to x_k}f(x)=f(x_k)[/itex]. This in general not true unless f is continuous at [itex]x_k[/itex]. Moreover you conclude from this (erroneous) statement that f should have a limit at b. How is the behaviour of f at [itex]x_k[/itex] related to the behaviour of f at b? - Not at all.

I suggest you give it another try:smile:

you can define (why?) A = sup{f(x)|a<=x<b}, which is the key to this question IMO, the rest of the proof becomes easy: prove such A is exactly f(b-) by a simple "epsilon-delta" argument

Pere Callahan said:
Me neither.

What you want to show is that if you have a sequence [itex](x_k)_{k\geq 0}[/itex] with [itex]x_k\to b[/itex] then the sequence [itex](f(x_k))_{k\geq 0}[/itex] converges. This sequence does not need to converge to f(b) which would mean that f is continuous at b - a fact which might not generally be true and which you are not asked to prove.

As for what you have done so far: I can see only few things there which are correct.

You said [itex]\lim_{x\to x_k}f(x)=f(x_k)[/itex]. This in general not true unless f is continuous at [itex]x_k[/itex]. Moreover you conclude from this (erroneous) statement that f should have a limit at b. How is the behaviour of f at [itex]x_k[/itex] related to the behaviour of f at b? - Not at all.

I suggest you give it another try:smile:
[itex]\lim_{x\to x_k}f(x)=f(x_k)[/itex]. I'm still not quite sure what to do here instead.

If you have a sequence (xk) that approaches b on the left, then assuming xk increases monotonically, you have that f(xk is increasing and bounded above. Hence?

Then see what happens if different sequences have different limits

Office_Shredder said:
If you have a sequence (xk) that approaches b on the left, then assuming xk increases monotonically, you have that f(xk is increasing and bounded above. Hence?

Then see what happens if different sequences have different limits

Where did you get the approaching b from the left? Because of the fact that we have a<x1< x2...<xk<b?

The question is prove f has a limit at b. It makes sense to pick an arbitrary sequence that approaches b to investigate what the limit would be (often, instead of trying to prove that it as a limit, you start by finding what the limit should be, and then proving that is the limit).

Office_Shredder said:
The question is prove f has a limit at b. It makes sense to pick an arbitrary sequence that approaches b to investigate what the limit would be (often, instead of trying to prove that it as a limit, you start by finding what the limit should be, and then proving that is the limit).

Ok, so because the sequence approaches b, then the limit will be b? Then, do the same with xk approaching a from the right?

FAQ: Monotone Limit at Endpoints a and b?

What is a monotone limit at a and b?

A monotone limit at a and b is a concept in mathematics that describes the behavior of a sequence or function as it approaches two specific points, a and b. It is a measure of how the values of the sequence or function change as the input approaches these points.

How is a monotone limit at a and b different from a regular limit?

A monotone limit at a and b is different from a regular limit in that it considers the behavior of the sequence or function at two specific points, a and b, rather than just one point. This allows for a better understanding of the overall behavior of the sequence or function.

What are the possible outcomes of a monotone limit at a and b?

There are three possible outcomes of a monotone limit at a and b: convergence, divergence, or oscillation. Convergence occurs when the values of the sequence or function approach a single, finite value as the input approaches a and b. Divergence occurs when the values of the sequence or function approach positive or negative infinity as the input approaches a and b. Oscillation occurs when the values of the sequence or function alternate between two or more values as the input approaches a and b.

How can monotone limit at a and b be used in real-world applications?

Monotone limit at a and b can be used in various real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of stock prices, the motion of objects, and the stability of structures.

Are there any special cases or exceptions to monotone limit at a and b?

Yes, there are special cases and exceptions to monotone limit at a and b. For instance, if the sequence or function is not monotone, then the monotone limit at a and b may not exist. Additionally, if the values of the sequence or function are not bounded, then the limit at a and b may not exist or may be infinite.

Back