1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Monotonically decreasing function

1. Jul 19, 2007 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    True or false:
    1) If f:R->R is a monotonically decreasing function then every discontinues point of f has finate right and left limits which are unequal.
    2) I is some finate segment where a<b and a,b in R. If every continues function defined in I has a maximum and a minimum then I is a closed (in other words [a,b]) segment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) I think this is true but how can I prove it? Can someone give me a push in the right direction?
    2)True: f(x)=x is continues and defined in any segment but it only has a min and max in an closed one. Is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2) looks fine. For 1) try thinking of it this way. Let c be the discontinuous point. For the left limit consider the sequence f(c-1/n) for integers n>=1. The sequence is decreasing and bounded below (by f(c)) so it has a limit L. Can you show R is the left hand limit?
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?