Month of Summer left: What can I do to make myself more employable

  • Thread starter Thread starter EvilKermit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Summer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
EvilKermit
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
So I have a month left until school starts, and I am entering my senior year of college. That means I need to find a job soon. So I have nothing to do for a month, so I figure I should try to find ways to make myself more employable. Perhaps learn a new skill that can be useful. Question is: What? I'll give myself a bit of a background:

I go to a mediocre college. I am majoring in chemical engineer with a minor in nuclear engineering. I have no prior work experience besides an REU at Florida State College in computational material science a few years back and I will be working with one of professors during the fall semester.

I know a little bit about C++ (took a course in it my sophomore year). I have not had experience using any computer aided design software yet. I know how to use Matlab. My math level is at the

I have a 3.4 GPA.

In terms of understanding of math. I have taken statistics and (ordinary) differential equations.

Any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

I should also add that I have a scholarship and part of the agreement is that I need to apply to a nuclear industry. I'm uncertain If I want to go to graduate school or go for an MBA (or both).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
One month? All you can really do in a month is start sending out your resume.
 
If you can't work, volunteer, or experiment on your own. Write up your results for a magazine. Follow your heart. Don't sit there. Do something.
 
Just start applying to stuff now, the earlier the better.