1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Month of Summer left: What can I do to make myself more employable

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    So I have a month left until school starts, and I am entering my senior year of college. That means I need to find a job soon. So I have nothing to do for a month, so I figure I should try to find ways to make myself more employable. Perhaps learn a new skill that can be useful. Question is: What?

I'll give myself a bit of a background:

I go to a mediocre college. I am majoring in chemical engineer with a minor in nuclear engineering. I have no prior work experience besides an REU at Florida State College in computational material science a few years back and I will be working with one of professors during the fall semester.

I know a little bit about C++ (took a course in it my sophomore year). I have not had experience using any computer aided design software yet. I know how to use Matlab. My math level is at the

I have a 3.4 GPA.

In terms of understanding of math. I have taken statistics and (ordinary) differential equations.

Any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

I should also add that I have a scholarship and part of the agreement is that I need to apply to a nuclear industry. I'm uncertain If I want to go to graduate school or go for an MBA (or both).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

fss

One month? All you can really do in a month is start sending out your resume.

4. Aug 5, 2011 #3
    If you can't work, volunteer, or experiment on your own. Write up your results for a magazine. Follow your heart. Don't sit there. Do something.

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4
    Just start applying to stuff now, the earlier the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook