1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More on finding the nth derivative

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    I have another question on finding the nth derivative. Is there a set formula i can follow for finding the nth derivative of different functions or do i need to find different patterns in order to come up with a formula each time.

I also need to find formulas for the nth derivative of:
    f(x)= x^n

f(x)= 1/ (3x^3)

f(x)= square root of x

Does anyone know how these formulas or an easy way of coming up with them?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2
    It's a guess. But for x^n it should be pretty easy -- a bit of induction should sort it out, and the other two are just a special cases.
  4. Sep 30, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

Only way I know how to get the nth derivative is to just differentiate about 3 times and hope to see a pattern
  5. Sep 30, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

As genneth and rock.freak667 point out, the trickiest thing here is that there are different cases to consider. Try different starting values for n (remember, n can be any real number) and see what happens...

As with your other thread, it will make things easier if you start from

(3x^3)^(-1) and x^(1/2) .
  6. Sep 30, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

for the nth derivative of [tex]x^n[/tex] try differentiating that about 4 times and try to deduce the 5th derivative

(hint: n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(...)=n!)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?