More on finding the nth derivative

• Thread starter christen1289
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding the nth derivative of different functions and whether there is a set formula to follow or if patterns need to be found in order to come up with a formula each time. The three functions mentioned are x^n, 1/(3x^3), and √x. There is a suggestion to try different starting values for n and to use the fact that n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(...) = n!.
christen1289
I have another question on finding the nth derivative. Is there a set formula i can follow for finding the nth derivative of different functions or do i need to find different patterns in order to come up with a formula each time.

I also need to find formulas for the nth derivative of:
f(x)= x^n

f(x)= 1/ (3x^3)

f(x)= square root of x

Does anyone know how these formulas or an easy way of coming up with them?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a guess. But for x^n it should be pretty easy -- a bit of induction should sort it out, and the other two are just a special cases.

Only way I know how to get the nth derivative is to just differentiate about 3 times and hope to see a pattern

christen1289 said:
I have another question on finding the nth derivative. Is there a set formula i can follow for finding the nth derivative of different functions or do i need to find different patterns in order to come up with a formula each time.

I also need to find formulas for the nth derivative of:
f(x)= x^n

As genneth and rock.freak667 point out, the trickiest thing here is that there are different cases to consider. Try different starting values for n (remember, n can be any real number) and see what happens...

f(x)= 1/ (3x^3)

f(x)= square root of x

As with your other thread, it will make things easier if you start from

(3x^3)^(-1) and x^(1/2) .

for the nth derivative of [tex]x^n[/tex] try differentiating that about 4 times and try to deduce the 5th derivative

(hint: n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(...)=n!)

1. How do you find the nth derivative?

To find the nth derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, or a combination of these rules depending on the complexity of the function. The general formula for finding the nth derivative is: f(n)(x) = (dn / dxn)f(x).

2. What is the significance of finding the nth derivative?

Finding the nth derivative allows you to determine the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in various applications such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding the rate of change of a system is important.

3. Can you find the nth derivative of any function?

Yes, the nth derivative can be found for any function, as long as the function is continuous and differentiable within the given interval.

4. How can the nth derivative be used to find the general formula for a function?

The nth derivative can be used to find the general formula for a function by applying the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, or a combination of these rules in reverse. This process is called anti-differentiation or integration.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the nth derivative?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used for finding the nth derivative, such as using the binomial theorem or using the Taylor series expansion. However, these methods may not always be applicable and it is important to understand the basic rules and formulas for finding the nth derivative.