1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moseley's law and the determination of the screening constant

1. May 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The aim of a laboratory course was to measure the x-ray fluorescene spectra of 20 metallic samples. By comparison of the peaks in the energy spectra with known electronic transitions (e.g. ##K_α## of ##Cu##) the materials were identified.

After that, Moseley's law
    $$ \sqrt{\frac{E}{R_y}}=(Z-\sigma_{n_1,n_2})\sqrt{1/n_1^2-1/n_2^2} $$
    should be verified and the screening constant ## \sigma_{n_1,n_2} ## should be determined. The problem is, that ## \sigma_{n_1,n_2}## itself is (aside from ##n_1## and ##n_2##) a function of ##Z## (the atomic number), which means it isn't possible to just fit a linear function to the data.

2. Relevant equations
    Moseley's law:
    $$\sqrt{\frac{E}{R_y}}=(Z-\sigma_{n_1,n_2})\sqrt{1/n_1^2-1/n_2^2}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I tried to fit the data, but that does not seem to make much sense to me..

Sorry for the equations, I am new here and don't know how to properly compile LaTeX equations... :sorry:

Moderator's note: LaTex edited. See e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What if you plotted ##\frac{\sqrt{\frac{E}{R_y}}}{ \sqrt{1/n_1^2-1/n_2^2} }## vs. ##Z## and fitted a straight line to that? Do you see how you can extract Moseley's constant from the fit?

4. May 23, 2017 #3
    Well, the curve actually shows a linear behaviour (I assume, you mean that ## \sqrt{1/n_1^2-1/n_2^2}## is constant ##\Leftrightarrow## the data has to be fitted for every transition found (## K_\alpha ##, ## K_\beta ##, ## L_\alpha ##, etc) seperately). But the problem is that ## \sigma ## seems to be also a function of ## Z ## (## \sigma < 0 ## for ## Z \geq 55## according to my course instruction)...

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  5. May 24, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted