Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Control Device Selection

1. Jul 5, 2006 #1
    Currently I am using a pc to drive a stepper motor through a xylotex-brand motor controller. The problem is the PC's time clock just doesn't allow for steady movement.

What I need is a specific controller to handle the signal to the motor. All I want the PC to do is send a command to the controller saying "go here". I just do not have any experience with this, however, so your expertise would be greatly appreciated. I just need to know what device to use to enable smooth movement of the motor. Also, I would really like the controller to take in feedback from a linear encoder.

FWIW, the xylotex controller uses simple ttl logic, with a 1.5v max LOW signal & 2.9volt min HIGH signal.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you post a link to your motor info and controller info? What OS are you running on your PC? Are you able to do some programming on your PC in C?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?