Motion In Two Dimensions Lab Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the initial velocity of an object that rolls off a table and hits the floor below. The relevant data includes the table height of 86 cm and the distance of the object from the table when it hits the floor at 23 cm. The relevant equation for calculating instantaneous speed is Vf = Vo + at, and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s. The conversation also mentions the use of displacement and time equations to determine the horizontal velocity. Ultimately, the calculated initial velocity is around 0.6 m/s.
Iokia
Question and Data
What is the initial velocity of an object that rolls off a table and hits the floor below?
Lab produced the following data:
Table height: 86 cm
Distance of object from table when it hits floor: 23 cm

Relevant equations
Instantaneous Speed: Vf = Vo + at
[I think this is the correct one...]

The attempt at a solution
Gravity affects the object at a rate of 9.8 m/s.
Converting dimensions to meters:
86 cm = .86 m
23 cm = .23 m
I know gravity affects the height and the velocity affects the distance from the table and these two do not affect each other, but how do I determine the time?
You can't use sin and that triangle stuff because the object arches, it isn't straight.
I'd applicate any help or hints you could provide to help me threw this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Iokia said:
Question and Data
What is the initial velocity of an object that rolls off a table and hits the floor below?
Lab produced the following data:
Table height: 86 cm
Distance of object from table when it hits floor: 23 cm

Relevant equations
Instantaneous Speed: Vf = Vo + at
[I think this is the correct one...]

The attempt at a solution
Gravity affects the object at a rate of 9.8 m/s.
Converting dimensions to meters:
86 cm = .86 m
23 cm = .23 m
I know gravity affects the height and the velocity affects the distance from the table and these two do not affect each other, but how do I determine the time?
You can't use sin and that triangle stuff because the object arches, it isn't straight.
I'd applicate any help or hints you could provide to help me threw this problem.

Welcome to PF.

First figure the time for the object to fall .86m

x= 1/2g*t2

Then you know how far it went and for how long so figure how fast the horizontal velocity was and you're done.

Thank you.
x would really be the y displacement, which is .86m, correct?
So time is .419 seconds... and would you plug that into the displacement & time equation?
Which would give you 1.504 m/s as the initial velocity.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Iokia said:
Thank you.
x would really be the y displacement, which is .86m, correct?
So time is .419 seconds... and would you plug that into the displacement & time equation?
Which would give you 1.504 m/s as the initial velocity.

Thank you for your help.

Isn't the distance .23m and the time .419s?
I get something quite less than 1.5 m/s at constant velocity.

If your looking for the x displacement. It turns out the same either way.
But yes, it is less than 1.5m/s. It's around .6, if I remember correctly. I plugged in gravity for the acceleration the second time but it's zero because their is no horizontal acceleration.

Thank you very much for your time.

1. What is motion in two dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions refers to the movement of an object in both the x and y direction at the same time. This type of motion is often represented using vectors, with one component representing the x direction and the other representing the y direction.

2. How is motion in two dimensions different from one-dimensional motion?

One-dimensional motion only involves movement in one direction, while two-dimensional motion involves movement in two directions simultaneously. This means that two-dimensional motion has both a horizontal and vertical component, while one-dimensional motion only has a single component.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight-line distance between the object's starting point and ending point. Displacement takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while distance does not.

4. What is the formula for calculating velocity in two dimensions?

The formula for calculating velocity in two dimensions is v = √(vx² + vy²), where vx is the velocity in the x direction and vy is the velocity in the y direction. This formula is based on the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the hypotenuse of a right triangle (in this case, the total velocity) is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

5. How can we use vectors to represent motion in two dimensions?

Vectors are commonly used to represent motion in two dimensions because they can show both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion. In two-dimensional motion, vectors have two components: one in the x direction and one in the y direction. These components can be added or subtracted to find the total displacement or velocity of an object.