How Does Table Height Affect Initial Velocity Calculation in Physics?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the initial velocity of a ramp on a table based on a horizontal decline of 20 cm and an angle of 41 degrees. The person has performed 3 trials and averaged a value of 53.3, but is unsure if the velocity should be 0. They are also asking for help in finding the initial velocity and questioning the relevance of the table height. The relevant equation given is Vo=ΔX/t and the person has attempted to solve it by dividing 53.3 by 9.8m/s. They are seeking further explanation and assistance.
FireSystems

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the (Vo) for a ramp length from a horizontal decline marked at
20 cm. The ramp on top of a table has an angle of 41 degrees. I performed 3 trials releasing a ball bearing at the 20cm mark and averaged 53.3 . The table height is 87.3 cm. Isn't Vo 0?

How do I find the Initial Velocity of the ramp length?

Homework Equations

Given equations on Lab sheet Vo=ΔX/t

The Attempt at a Solution

All I did was 53.3/9.8m/s. I am really new at this, any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Explain a bit more completely what you're doing and what you're to find out.

What does the height of the table have to do with anything?

Related to How Does Table Height Affect Initial Velocity Calculation in Physics?

1. What is the purpose of the "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab"?

The purpose of the "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab" is to study the motion of objects in two dimensions, specifically in terms of displacement, velocity, and acceleration. This lab allows scientists to explore the concepts of vectors and vector components, as well as apply mathematical equations to analyze and predict the motion of objects.

2. What materials are needed for the "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab"?

The materials needed for the "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab" may vary depending on the specific experiment, but generally, you will need a motion detector, a track, and various objects such as balls or carts. You may also need a computer with data analysis software to record and analyze the data collected.

3. How is displacement calculated in the "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab"?

Displacement in the "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab" is calculated by finding the change in position of an object in two dimensions. This can be done by subtracting the initial position from the final position, taking into account both the x and y components of the object's position.

4. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in the "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab"?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the change in that speed and direction over time.

5. How does the "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab" relate to real-world applications?

The "Motion in 2 Dimensions Lab" relates to real-world applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. Understanding the concepts of motion in two dimensions can help scientists and engineers design and analyze the movement of objects, such as projectiles or vehicles. In sports, knowledge of motion in two dimensions can help athletes improve their performance and technique.