Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of object under central force

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody

I have been trying to develop an intuitive general understanding of how the trajectory of an object , that is moving at constant velocity, is changed by the sudden appearance of a central force but I am not sure my reasoning is correct.

(1) Consider an object "A" not subject to any force and, therefore, moving at constant velocity "V".

(2) Now, suppose that, "by magic", a central force appears at a distance R from "A" constantly pointing to a point "O" in space.

As far as I understand the path that A will take depends from its velocity "V" at the time the central force appeared:

(a) If V=0, then A will start to oscillate around O

(b) if V= SQR(a x R) (where: SQR = square root, "a" = the acceleration, constant in magnitude, to which A is subject) then A will start to move along a circular path

(c) if V < SQR(a x R), then A will start moving along an elliptical path (the smaller V the more "sqeezed" the ellipse -- the case V=0 could be considered as the degenarate case of this)

(d) if V > SQR(a x R), then the trajectory of A will be curved by the central force but the path will not be (necessarily ?) a "closed" one like a circle or an ellipse

Is the reasoning above correct? Points (a), (b), (c) make sense to me, so I believe they are correct, but I do have strong doubts about point d ...

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You haven't specified how the magnitude of the force varies, e.g. a function of R.
    For an elliptical path to result, you need a force like gravity, G/R^2. In that case it will be elliptical provided V < escape velocity, sqrt(2aR).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook