1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the acceleration with polar coordinates?

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

vCO12t3.jpg

The quality of the image is bad so heres the statement:

For an interval of motion the drum of radius b turns clockwise at a constant rate ω in radians per second and causes the carriage P to move to the right as the unwound lenght of the connecting cable is shortened. Use polar coordinates r and θ and serive expressions for the velocity v and acceleration a of P in the horizontal guide in terms of the angle θ. Check your solution with time of the relation x2+h2=r2

2. Relevant equations

I first found that the velocity of the carriage is v=bω/sin(θ)

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to directly derivate the equation which give me -bωcos(θ)/sin2(θ)

However, in the book answers, the answer is supposer to be b2ω2/h *cot3(θ).

I think I have to do something with the vectors, like derivate v=vrer + vθeθ but I don't understand much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

fgb

It seems to me that you just forgot a term in the chain rule to differentiate your expressior for the speed. Realize that as r is changing, so is [itex]\theta[/itex], so [itex]\theta[/itex] is also a function of time.

You have [itex] v = -\dfrac{b\omega}{\sin{\theta}} [/itex]

[itex]a=\dfrac{dv}{dt} = \dfrac{b\omega\cos{\theta}}{\sin{\theta}^2}\dfrac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex]

There is probably a simpler way to do this, but to obtain [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex] you can realize that [itex] r*\cos{\theta} = h[/itex], where h is a constant. If you differentiate both sides, you get

[itex] \dfrac{dr}{dt}*cos{\theta} + r(-\sin{\theta})\dfrac{d\theta}{dt} = 0 [/itex]

You can solve for [itex]\dfrac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex] and plug it into the expression for a, it gives you the right answer :) Realize that [itex]\frac{dr}{dt} = -b\omega[/itex], since it is simply the rate at which the rope is being pulled.

Did I make any sense? :P

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook