Mouse won't click to open files

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the problem is that the user can't left click files or folders on their computer. They have to right mouse click and open them. They have to restart the computer to fix the problem. They also tried different USB ports and different mouse functions, but none of it worked.
No, it still failed. It is absolutely related to internet. I was reading some post and it got really slow and it failed. I can tell when it got slow, the fan comes on also.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you sure it is the fan and not the DVD? Run with the DVD door open?

The fan should only come on if the CPU ot system is getting hot. You can run a temperature monitor program and watch for that. Maybe your CPU has a heatsink contact problem (thermal grease).

Thanks MeBigGuy

I don't have a DVD. So the fan is for the CPU. But I did test the heat by putting it on a warm HP pulse generator for at least 30 minutes. The whole lap top got definitely warmer than normal use. The fan was not running that high, it was just quiet most of the time since I disable the Flash players.

I was bad yesterday, Yahoo had a "Greatest-wardrobe-malfunctions-in-cheerleading-history". I was looking at beautiful women when that happens. This was on Yahoo front page, I hope that's not some site with malware. That is even with the Flash disabled. I include the link, maybe you can tell a lot more. I hope this is not inappropriate, this is the only site that actually did it to my computer, I have no choice if I want to look deeper into the problem. It was on Yahoo front page.

http://www.idistracted.net/the-greatest-wardrobe-malfunctions-in-cheerleading-history/16/?v=p

It went to blue screen in front of me and restarted.

Just update what's going on.

My friend suggested to increase the virtual memory size to 8192M initial size and 22G max. The explorer doesn't seems to fail as often. More importantly, I don't have blue screen restart for a week already. So the problem becomes the explorer stop working, I go in and end the program and restart it. Everything goes back to normal.

Does this tell anything? This is really the first thing that shows a difference. Not fixing the problem, but a big step in the positive direction. Of cause, it's only been a week, but it has never last this long since the problem started. Usually blue screen followed within hours after I restarted the explorer, quite predictable.

I haven't had time to read this entire thread--but--do you have plenty of disk space?

Not having enough disk space for the virtual memory file to expand and shrink can definitely cause Blue Screen of Death and other issues similar to these. So the fix would be to clean up the drive, defrag (if possible), then set the VM file to a fixed (large) size, with initial and maximum values identical--and NOT system-managed, but manually determined. Requires a reboot.

Install TuneUp Utilities and optimize your pc for full performance.

I recovered the computer, everything is wiped. Still failed. Now what?

You think calling Lenovo will do any good at this point? Or just buy a new computer and give the worst review on Amazon? I think this is the end of the road

I'd certainly try the Lenovo route.

yungman said:
I recovered the computer, everything is wiped. Still failed. Now what?

You think calling Lenovo will do any good at this point? Or just buy a new computer and give the worst review on Amazon? I think this is the end of the road
As meBigGuy suggests, try Lenovo support (especially if its still under warranty). They may even send a replacement.

Thanks guys, I just need to find a few hours of time before I can call Lenovo support. You know how that goes, I have called for help before with other computers, they make you go through the whole work up, one time I spent a whole Christmas holiday working on the Dell. I had extended warranty, but they just refused to take it in, keep telling me to try this, to try that, I literally spent days with them. That computer never got fixed and I gave it away. That was a $2400 desktop in the late 90s, top of the line computer.

Remember I worked through the whole gantlet here with MeBigGuy and other the very experienced people here. Also, this laptop has gone to the IT department three times. I even have one of my friend that others consider the guru worked on it. Simply put, they cannot make it fail in front of them. It was in last week that the company's IT did the whole hardware test and they could not find anything. You really expect the Lenovo support can find something you guys, my friend and my IT department could not find in the last 3 months? The IT department had two people working on it, they actually escalated up the chain!

The ONLY thing that actually help to some extend is to increase the virtual memory.

That's the reason I am so reluctant to call. I don't have a few hours continuous. It's ok to work on it with you guys 15mins at a time, then drop it till the next day, then another 15 minutes...and so on.

Last edited:
I want to put this in a separate post. The only thing that help is increase the virtual memory suggested by my friend. After recovered the computer, it still fail average ones a day. BUT all I have to do in the last week is to go to Task Manager, stop the Explorer.exe, then start it again. Everything goes to normal until the next time. Before the recovery and increasing the virtual memory, blue screen or something bad would happen within hours after stop and restart the explorer.exe. Now, everything is ok for over a week by just stop and restart the explorer.exe. I can actually live with this.

I checked, I still have about 40G free space in the SSD drive. I have 8G RAM. MeBigguy asked me before to monitor RAM useage, it never went above 5G. I don't think I am running low on anything.

Another thing, should I upgrade to Win10. I have my other Lenovo laptop that NEVER work right from day one, it was a Win8 upgraded to 8.1. It was so intermittent that my wife just refused to use it. It was a 3rd gen I5, only 3 years old, been lying around all this time. I upgraded to win10 about 2 weeks ago, it's been working consistently since! I have to really give it a full work up, but would have done something funny by now with the win8. Some of the former symptoms are the wireless connection kept having problems, web pages get very slow or freezed up, doing funny things that I had to restart the whole thing. It's all GONE after the Win10!

Thanks

I updated to Win10, has been running for a week and so far so good.

The other Lenovo that is very unliable since day one has been running Win10 for 3 weeks, still have some problems, but it's a whole lot better since Win10. The only real problem is when I close the lid and put it in SLEEP mode, the next day, it won't wake up. I have to hold the power button to shut it down and push the power button to start it again. Other than that, it pretty much work...reluctantly.