Mouse won't click to open files

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the problem is that the user can't left click files or folders on their computer. They have to right mouse click and open them. They have to restart the computer to fix the problem. They also tried different USB ports and different mouse functions, but none of it worked.
yungman
Hi
I have a problem developed in the last week or so. I sometimes cannot open folders and files by left click the mouse. When that happens, first I can right mouse click and select "Open" to open, but after a little while, it stop working. I have to restart the computer to get it back.

This is a 4 months old laptop with Win7 pro. I use Norton 360. Other than that, the laptop has been behaving.

I have to restart ones or twice a day. Please help me fixing it.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm assuming all other programs become slow (or unresponsive) too? Try both of these: run a virus scan, and also press f12 when booting up and run a hardware diagnostic. If those don't find anything, run the windows repair kit (or something like that--you should be able to find out how online). It could be a virus or maybe a hard drive problem. You may end up needing a new hard drive.

Thanks for your reply, I don't have the "F" keys. Any CTRL or Alt combine keys that can do the F keys?

Thanks

yungman said:
Thanks for your reply, I don't have the "F" keys. Any CTRL or Alt combine keys that can do the F keys?

Thanks
What sort of laptop is this? There should be keys for F1-F12 along the top of the keyboard, along with an Escape key and other control keys. Sometimes, on laptop keyboards, you may need to activate the Function keys by pressing a key marked "Fn" and then another key along the topmost part of the keyboard.

If it's indeed a Windows laptop, there will be a special Windows key located on the bottom left of the keyboard, near the space bar.

You can run the hardware diagnostic from windows as well. You should be able to see how by googling it.

Hi

I ran a complete scan with Norton, everything seems ok. I need to find out how to run the diagnostic. I always have Norton from day one and I don't serve on the web much, mainly go to some specific technical forums like Diyaudio. I doubted I got infected at all.

Have you tired unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again? I have a work laptop that sometimes doesn't recognize the USB mouse. If I unplug it and plug it back in again, it works fine.

yungman said:
Hi

I ran a complete scan with Norton, everything seems ok. I need to find out how to run the diagnostic. I always have Norton from day one and I don't serve on the web much, mainly go to some specific technical forums like Diyaudio. I doubted I got infected at all.
Not many people serve on the Web. Most of us just surf. :wink:

You never said is you were using a separate mouse with your laptop or if this machine has a touchpad built into it.

Borg said:
Have you tired unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in again? I have a work laptop that sometimes doesn't recognize the USB mouse. If I unplug it and plug it back in again, it works fine.
The mouse is working, I just tried unplug and plug in the USB, did not help. I had to restart the computer to get back the control.

Thanks

SteamKing said:
Not many people serve on the Web. Most of us just surf. :wink:

You never said is you were using a separate mouse with your laptop or if this machine has a touchpad built into it.
I went of the the web to look for help in windows hardware diagnostic, I don't dare to use them. Can you suggest some safe site for me?

Some times, I cannot even restart the computer, it got stuck shutting down and I have to press and hold the power button to force turnoff, then push the button to start again.
Thanks

Last edited:
yungman said:
The mouse is working, I just tried unplug and plug in the USB, did not help. I had to restart the computer to get back the control.

Thanks
Another thing that I would try is using different USB ports. I had a laptop once that had issues with just one of the three available USB ports. I learned not to use that one.

Borg said:
Another thing that I would try is using different USB ports. I had a laptop once that had issues with just one of the three available USB ports. I learned not to use that one.
Will do, thanks

yungman said:
I went of the the web to look for help in windows hardware diagnostic, I don't dare to use them. Can you suggest some safe site for me?

Some times, I cannot even restart the computer, it got stuck shutting down and I have to press and hold the power button to force turnoff, then push the button to start again.

Do not use an online one. I meant that you can start the diagnostic from Windows, but you can look up how to start it.

I tried restore the system back to 8/22, we'll see whether this will help. I don't remember whether this is earlier enough as this has been going on a few days already.

I use control panel, Recovery and choose restore to previous date, but I can only get to 8/22 as I cannot get any earlier date. Is there any way to restore to even an earlier date and how?

Sadly the problem persists. One more observation, this time when I right mouse click and try to open the folder, it actually said not enough memory to open the folder, need to close some programs.

I went to the task manager and looked at the memory usage, it's not even close to running out of memory, not even half of my 8G ram.

yungman said:
Sadly the problem persists. One more observation, this time when I right mouse click and try to open the folder, it actually said not enough memory to open the folder, need to close some programs.

I went to the task manager and looked at the memory usage, it's not even close to running out of memory, not even half of my 8G ram.

This is why you should run your hardware diagnostic to make sure there's nothing wrong with your hardware. Google "Windows memory test" and follow the directions on the Microsoft website.

axmls said:
This is why you should run your hardware diagnostic to make sure there's nothing wrong with your hardware. Google "Windows memory test" and follow the directions on the Microsoft website.
I follow the instruction to check the memory using Start manu, looks good.

What's next?

thanks

Hi
It happened again. I was waiting for it to fail to run the memory test and check the hardware. But The computer doesn't listen to me anymore, I cannot do anything until I reset. Usually it needs push and hold the power button to turn it off and then push to turn it on again.

It is not the mouse that is not working, it just won't open program and folders. I tried switching USB ports already.

I did ran the memory test and it passed while it was working, so it really did not tell me anything. Is it time to contact Lenovo?

Thanks

Certainly you have F keys on your laptop. You should definitely run the hardware diagnostic on bootup by pressing f12 until the correct screen pops up and selecting hardware diagnostic.

axmls said:
Certainly you have F keys on your laptop. You should definitely run the hardware diagnostic on bootup by pressing f12 until the correct screen pops up and selecting hardware diagnostic.
Yes, I found it, it's just very small at the bottom of the keys

I am running all the test that's available. I am doing the memory bit fade test that takes 3 hours. I have to use an old laptop right now. All the other except the memory test passed so far, I'll report back on the memory test in a few hours.

Thanks

I just finished running every single test on the diagnostic page upon start up by tapping F12. Took me all this time non stop to finish it. Everything passed! What else can I do?

Seem like it's software problem now. question is how can I reverse back to say July 1 as I can only go back to Aug 22 which I think I had the problem already.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Hmm. Try this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

I still suspect it could be a hardware problem, and following those steps will allow your computer to attempt to fix that. I worked in IT for a couple of summers, and often when things start to get slow and programs stop responding (does it tell you the programs aren't responding?), it's because of the hard drive.

You could also look in detail in the task manager and see what kind of programs are running in the background.

Likes yungman
axmls said:
Hmm. Try this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

I still suspect it could be a hardware problem, and following those steps will allow your computer to attempt to fix that. I worked in IT for a couple of summers, and often when things start to get slow and programs stop responding (does it tell you the programs aren't responding?), it's because of the hard drive.

You could also look in detail in the task manager and see what kind of programs are running in the background.
Thanks, I'll try that right away.

I just want to response to you that the computer is very fast. Even when I cannot open the folder or program, I can always get on the internet and do everything else. It just got stuck when I try to open a folder. But at the same time, I can do other things and the computer won't miss a beat.

I am going to try your site. I'll be back.

Thanks

I ran the disk check. I can only run "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". It passed the test.

I cannot run "Automatically fix file system errors". It said it cannot perform this when the disk is in use.

Wow, I am really getting worry now. Should I start calling Lenovo?

Last edited:
You can set it to run when you start up the computer (it can't work on the hard drive if it's in use).

Is it one folder in particular, or any folder?

Likes yungman
axmls said:
You can set it to run when you start up the computer (it can't work on the hard drive if it's in use).

Thanks for all the help.

How do you set up to run when you start up the computer? I ran all the tests available when I started up, hit F12 to get into diagnostic mode. I went down the complete list of testing that took over 4 hours. I don't think I left out anything.

It is not any particular folder or file.

Thanks

The link I posted should describe how to run the repair kit on startup. It'll give you an option and you'll restart your computer. That'll take a couple of hours.

First, though, to make sure it's not a software problem, do you have any issues opening the files on, say, flash drives? If not, my suspicion is still that it's your hard drive.

Likes yungman
axmls said:

Thanks, I try open a file in flash drive, it works. when it is not acting up, everything is perfect. I'll wait until it fail and try the flash drive again.

BTW, the hard disk is a SS drive, not the old hard disk type.

I'll go through the link you gave and try again.,

Thanks

The computer acting up now, I cannot open the removable flash drive. Can't even get into the drive. I cannot open any of the icons on the desktop. I cannot even open the Firefox by clicking the icon. BUT when I go to the Firefox browser that is already opened and just click to open another page, no problem. Problem is just I cannot open icon on the desktop.

But as I said, I can go on the internet without any issue.

I actually when on digikey, pick an opamp and click the datasheet pdf file, I have no problem opening it. So it's not even opening pdf or word or anything. It just won't open things in the computer. Obviously the mouse is not an issue.

I have schematic capture opened already, I can close the current file and open another file without issue. Point is if I try to open the schematic capture, I cannot. But if the program is already opened, I can use the program to open other schematic files.

Edit:

I tried using schematic capture to open a file in the flash drive, no problem at all. I guess I have to open all the program or files that I need to open, so even if the computer screw up later, I can still open all the things.!
The computer is just as fast as ever, no slowing down at all right now with the problem. I really think it's a software issue, I just need to revert back to beginning of Aug if all possible.

Last edited:
axmls said:

I try this, I cannot even open "My Computer" now that it's not working. I went through this yesterday, it would not do the first part as the harddrive is in use.

When the computer is working, it checked out ok, passed the test.

willem2 said:
It seems the registry information for the .exe filetypye is wrong. (and maybe other filetypes as well). try this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2688326

I finally ran this. we'll see what happen.

I was very reluctant to change the registry. I went and posted my problem on the Lenovo Community forum, no reply after a whole day. So I came back and try this.

Thanks

It still failed. I kept checking by opening folders. An hour ago, I still can open the folder. I did not even touch the computer after that, I just tried open the folder and it fail. This mean it fail by itself without me touching it.

The description of you symptoms are not clear to me. Things don't quite make sense. I'll make some assumptions and you tell me where I am wrong.

Go to control panel-> mouse and verify the buttons work reliably and that your double click works well also.

You are using the normal windows explorer for file access.

You left click a file and it becomes selected. You can left click one file after another and it selects fine with no delay.
You double click a selected file and nothing happens? But you right click and select open and all is OK?
Does this behave the same for all file types and sizes?
For example, a small text (.txt) should open in your editor.
A small mp4 should open in your media player.
A large mp4 should open in your media player.
What happens if you open a large mp4 via the browser?
Do files on your main drive behave the same as files on your SSD? Do you suspect SSD drivers or settings?
How much space left on the SSD?

CTRL-ALT-DELETE, Task Manager and look at CPU usage. Does all look normal there? Also memory usage (but you said that looked OK)
Do any processes, (like IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc) seem to be using a lot of memory?
Any strange looking processes?

You need to whittle this down to a consistent set of cause and effect relationships and then experiment a bit.

For example, when it starts happening, shut down all applications and see if that helps. Shutdown as much as you can in the taskbar notification area. If there are still issues, then look at Task Manager to see what is still active and consuming memory.

Eventually, When it happens, you might try shutting down realtime protection in Norton Pro. (do you have multiple antivirus running?)

One of my favorite tools for tracking down strangenesses is resource monitor. I'm not sure whether it came with win7, or I had to download from Microsoft.
The shortcut to launch on my machine is %windir%\system32\perfmon.exe /res

Likes yungman
meBigGuy said:
The description of you symptoms are not clear to me. Things don't quite make sense. I'll make some assumptions and you tell me where I am wrong.

Go to control panel-> mouse and verify the buttons work reliably and that your double click works well also.
The mouse is working. I can go on the web, download and open pdf and word files by double clicking. I have no issue with any browser.

You are using the normal windows explorer for file access.Yes

You left click a file and it becomes selected. You can left click one file after another and it selects fine with no delay.
First click will highlight the file or folder, further clicks will not open it.
You double click a selected file and nothing happens? But you right click and select open and all is OK?
when it first fail, I can left click and open the file or folder, but after two or three times, it won't work anymore.

Does this behave the same for all file types and sizes? Yes, regardless of size or type.
For example, a small text (.txt) should open in your editor.
A small mp4 should open in your media player.
A large mp4 should open in your media player.
What happens if you open a large mp4 via the browser?
Do files on your main drive behave the same as files on your SSD? Do you suspect SSD drivers or settings?
How much space left on the SSD?
Once it fails, they all behave the same.

CTRL-ALT-DELETE, Task Manager and look at CPU usage. Does all look normal there? Also memory usage (but you said that looked OK)
Do any processes, (like IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc) seem to be using a lot of memory?
I checked the task manager and looked at CPU and memory usage. Very low. CPU is less than 20%, memory usage is lest than 5%.

Any strange looking processes? I looked at the process, I copied down a few that looked strange, but after I recovered as described below, those task are still there. So I don't see any particular strange about them.

You need to whittle this down to a consistent set of cause and effect relationships and then experiment a bit.

For example, when it starts happening, shut down all applications and see if that helps. Shutdown as much as you can in the taskbar notification area. If there are still issues, then look at Task Manager to see what is still active and consuming memory.
Try that, I shut down everything now except this and two folder that got stuck. I tried opening the folder and it got stuck, it opened a blank page and stuck, I can't close it at all. I can't get into control panel, my computer or anything. But see below.

Eventually, When it happens, you might try shutting down realtime protection in Norton Pro. (do you have multiple antivirus running?)

One of my favorite tools for tracking down strangenesses is resource monitor. I'm not sure whether it came with win7, or I had to download from Microsoft.
The shortcut to launch on my machine is %windir%\system32\perfmon.exe /res
Hi, Thanks for your help. I just found out a way to get out of it:

When I try open the folder, the symptom is it open a blank page and stop. I click the "X" to try to close, it would not. That's when I know the computer is acting up. This time, I open the Task Manager, and do End Task. I did managed to end it and the computer start working again.

This is the first time I don't have to restart the computer to get out of it. The end task work this time. I have to try again when it fails. Everything is fine for now! I really think is a software issue.

Thanks.

<h2>1. Why won't my mouse click to open files?</h2><p>There could be several reasons why your mouse won't click to open files. It could be due to a hardware issue, such as a faulty mouse or a loose connection. It could also be caused by a software issue, such as a driver problem or a virus. Additionally, your mouse settings may have been changed, preventing it from clicking to open files.</p><h2>2. How can I fix my mouse not clicking to open files?</h2><p>The first step in fixing your mouse not clicking to open files is to check for any hardware issues. Make sure your mouse is properly connected and try using a different mouse to see if the issue persists. If the problem is with the software, try updating your mouse driver or running a virus scan. You can also check your mouse settings to ensure that clicking to open files is enabled.</p><h2>3. Why is my mouse not clicking to open files only in a specific program?</h2><p>If your mouse is only not clicking to open files in a specific program, it is likely a software issue within that program. Make sure the program is up to date and try restarting it. If the problem persists, you may need to troubleshoot the program or contact the developer for assistance.</p><h2>4. Can a virus cause my mouse not to click to open files?</h2><p>Yes, a virus can cause your mouse not to click to open files. Some viruses can change your mouse settings or disable certain functions. It is important to regularly run virus scans and keep your computer's security software up to date to prevent these types of issues.</p><h2>5. Is it possible to fix my mouse not clicking to open files on my own?</h2><p>In most cases, you can fix your mouse not clicking to open files on your own by troubleshooting the issue using the steps mentioned above. However, if the problem persists or you are not comfortable making changes to your computer, it is best to seek assistance from a professional or the manufacturer of your mouse.</p>

1. Why won't my mouse click to open files?

There could be several reasons why your mouse won't click to open files. It could be due to a hardware issue, such as a faulty mouse or a loose connection. It could also be caused by a software issue, such as a driver problem or a virus. Additionally, your mouse settings may have been changed, preventing it from clicking to open files.

2. How can I fix my mouse not clicking to open files?

The first step in fixing your mouse not clicking to open files is to check for any hardware issues. Make sure your mouse is properly connected and try using a different mouse to see if the issue persists. If the problem is with the software, try updating your mouse driver or running a virus scan. You can also check your mouse settings to ensure that clicking to open files is enabled.

3. Why is my mouse not clicking to open files only in a specific program?

If your mouse is only not clicking to open files in a specific program, it is likely a software issue within that program. Make sure the program is up to date and try restarting it. If the problem persists, you may need to troubleshoot the program or contact the developer for assistance.

4. Can a virus cause my mouse not to click to open files?

Yes, a virus can cause your mouse not to click to open files. Some viruses can change your mouse settings or disable certain functions. It is important to regularly run virus scans and keep your computer's security software up to date to prevent these types of issues.

5. Is it possible to fix my mouse not clicking to open files on my own?

In most cases, you can fix your mouse not clicking to open files on your own by troubleshooting the issue using the steps mentioned above. However, if the problem persists or you are not comfortable making changes to your computer, it is best to seek assistance from a professional or the manufacturer of your mouse.