Movement of Charged Particles in a field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of two electrons when they are 10^-8m apart, given that they were initially 10^-9m apart. The solution involves calculating the electric potential energy and converting it to kinetic energy. The correct answer is 4.78x10^5 m/s.

Homework Statement

Two electrons are 10-9m Apart when they are released.What is their speed when they are 10-8m apart?

Homework Equations

Ek=-EE
EE=Kq1q2
-------
r

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried 1/2mv^=-(Ke(squared) - Ke(squared)
------------ -----------
r2 r1
And i don't seem to get the answer
By the way the answer to the question is 4.78x10^5 m/s
thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate electric potential energy when they are 10^-9m apart, and then when they are 10^-8m apart. The change in energy has become kinetic energy, and you may calculate it from this.

I did that.. And i still get the wrong answer but its pretty close.. i guess its a calculation error.. i will go back and recheck thanks for the help...

Yeah doublecheck your calculation. I did it and I got something like 4.79e5, so I'm pretty sure that's how you do it.

1. How do charged particles move in an electric field?

Charged particles in an electric field will experience a force in the direction of the field. This force causes the particles to accelerate and move in the direction of the field.

2. What is the difference between a positively charged particle and a negatively charged particle in a magnetic field?

Positively charged particles will experience a force in the opposite direction of negatively charged particles in a magnetic field. This is due to the fact that positively charged particles have a different polarity than negatively charged particles.

3. Can charged particles move in a vacuum?

Yes, charged particles can move in a vacuum. In fact, charged particles move more easily in a vacuum than in a medium such as air or water due to the absence of other particles that can interfere with their movement.

4. How does the strength of the electric field affect the movement of charged particles?

The strength of the electric field directly affects the force experienced by charged particles. A stronger electric field will result in a greater force on the particles, causing them to move faster and in a more pronounced direction.

5. What is the role of charge in the movement of charged particles in a field?

The charge of a particle determines the direction and magnitude of the force it experiences in a field. Oppositely charged particles will experience opposite forces, while particles with the same charge will experience forces in the same direction. Additionally, the magnitude of the charge affects the strength of the force experienced by the particle.