Moving applications to external SSD....

In summary, if you have an extra external drive, you can place data and applications on it to separate them. However, if you don't use the external often, it can be a pain to use those applications.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Moving applications or data to external SSD
Hello everyone,

My pc is getting too full so I got an external SSD (1Tb). Would you suggest moving all the applications on the external SSD or keep them on the pc's hard disk? If so why? Or should I only move all the "data" to the external SSD? What is your recommendation?

Thank you!

Technology news on Phys.org
Interesting question. SSDs have more limited RW statistics. I've read where it's a bad idea to completely fill up an SSD because further RW actions will begin to degrade the disk if the files can't be moved around on it.

Basically, you want to let the SSD wear-leveling algorithm write a file that's been updated to a new area of the SSD spreading around the write action so as not to use the same cells over and over again. On a full SSD that might not be possible.

https://techmonitor.ai/techonology/data-centre/how-long-do-ssds-really-last

Considering that to be the case then perhaps placing data on a magnetic harddrive and application software on the SSD is a better option. You get faster application startup without too much SSD degradation.

• Informative
Likes fog37 and berkeman
SSDs are much faster than hard disks. But you said "external" I assume that means USB. USB ports come in many different speeds. If it is slow, it may limit the effective speed of the SSB.

You should run your own benchmark. Then assign the files you need fastest to the fastest device. For me, that means the Windows files for booting. Boot-up is much faster with the SSD.

Likes fog37 and russ_watters
Also, unless your external is always plugged in, it can be a pain to use those applications.

Water under the bridge, but replacing the internal may have been better.

Likes fog37 and Wrichik Basu
russ_watters said:
Also, unless your external is always plugged in, it can be a pain to use those applications.

Water under the bridge, but replacing the internal may have been better.
Thanks. The SSD is an extra external drive I got to separate data from application in an attempt to be more efficient...

fog37 said:
Thanks. The SSD is an extra external drive I got to separate data from application in an attempt to be more efficient...
That's usually the better plan.

I take it you're still running out of space?

Likes fog37

1. How do I know if an application can be moved to an external SSD?

Not all applications can be moved to an external SSD. You can check if an application is eligible for external storage by right-clicking on the application and selecting "Get Info." Under the "General" tab, look for the "Location" section. If it shows the application is stored in the "Applications" folder, it can be moved to an external SSD.

2. Will moving applications to an external SSD improve their performance?

Yes, moving applications to an external SSD can improve their performance. SSDs have faster read and write speeds compared to traditional hard drives, resulting in faster loading and launch times for applications. This can also free up space on your computer's internal hard drive, potentially improving its overall performance as well.

3. Are there any risks involved in moving applications to an external SSD?

There are minimal risks involved in moving applications to an external SSD. However, it is always recommended to have a backup of your important applications and files before making any changes. If the external SSD becomes disconnected or damaged, you may not be able to access the applications stored on it.

4. How do I move applications to an external SSD on a Mac?

To move applications to an external SSD on a Mac, first connect the SSD to your computer. Then, open the "Applications" folder and select the application you want to move. Right-click on the application and select "Cut." Next, go to the external SSD and right-click and select "Paste Item." The application will now be stored on the external SSD.

5. Can I move applications back to my computer's internal hard drive after they have been moved to an external SSD?

Yes, you can move applications back to your computer's internal hard drive after they have been moved to an external SSD. Simply follow the same steps as moving the application to the external SSD, but in reverse. Keep in mind that this may result in a decrease in performance, as traditional hard drives are slower than SSDs.