Moving body on an inclined plane

In summary: Thanks for catching that.Riiight. That makes more sense than the block jumping up in the air. Oops. Thanks for catching that.
kaspis245

Homework Statement

A body is moving on an inclined plane which has a slope of 30o. When the body is h=1,5m above the surface it has a velocity of vo=3 m/s. At the bottom of the plane it bounces elastically and starts moving upwards. Find the height it reaches, when the coefficient of frictions is μ=0.5, g=9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

Newton's laws of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

olimpas.jpg

The correct answer is 0.35 m. Please say where is my mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were you, I would try using energy instead of forces. I think it will make your life much easier.

Good day. Why don't you try using: (body's gravitational potential energy) +(it's kinetic energy) = ( kinetic energy at the bottom of the incline) to find the energy at the bottom on the ramp. Then use that energy to find the height the box reaches by subtracting work done by friction and setting it equal to gravitational P.E then solve for h.

For the block going down you wrote v2 = v02 - 2as. Why the minus sign?

For the block going up you have l = v2/(2a1). Did you forget to square the velocity when you substituted for v?

2*9.8 = 19.6 rather than 19.8

You are asked for the final height rather than the final distance along the incline.

Everything turned out fine. Thanks for the help.

kaspis245 said:
Everything turned out fine. Thanks for the help.
Would you like kind enough to say what was wrong?

Has anyone been able to get the answer that the OP says was correct? I have done this problem with both paradigms to try amd help them however I can not see how this answer of .35m is reached. Both ways give me that the mass hits at 3.597 m/s.

FallenLeibniz said:
Has anyone been able to get the answer that the OP says was correct? I have done this problem with both paradigms to try amd help them however I can not see how this answer of .35m is reached. Both ways give me that the mass hits at 3.597 m/s.
I get 0.35 m for the answer using the OP's method and also using energy concepts.

I agree with you that the block reaches the bottom with a speed of 3.597 m/s.

TSny said:
I get 0.35 m for the answer using the OP's method and also using energy concepts.

I agree with you that the block reaches the bottom with a speed of 3.597 m/s.

After that don't you just square that velocity then divide by two times 9.8?

FallenLeibniz said:
After that don't you just square that velocity then divide by two times 9.8?
Ah. I think it's an interpretation problem. The problem statement says that at the bottom it "bounces elastically and starts moving upward". Apparently this was supposed to mean that the block bounces back up along the incline rather than vertically upward. (Look at the "wall" at the bottom in the OP's diagram.)

Likes FallenLeibniz
TSny said:
Ah. I think it's an interpretation problem. The problem statement says that at the bottom it "bounces elastically and starts moving upward". Apparently this was supposed to mean that the block bounces back up along the incline rather than vertically upward. (Look at the "wall" at the bottom in the OP's diagram.)
Riiight. That makes more sense than the block jumping up in the air. Oops.

1. How does the angle of an inclined plane affect the motion of a moving body?

The angle of an inclined plane affects the motion of a moving body by changing the force of gravity acting on the body. As the angle increases, the force of gravity acting on the body also increases, resulting in a faster acceleration and a steeper slope.

2. What is the relationship between the mass of a moving body and its motion on an inclined plane?

The relationship between the mass of a moving body and its motion on an inclined plane is that the heavier the body, the slower it will move on the inclined plane. This is due to the increased force of gravity acting on the body, making it more difficult to move up the slope.

3. How does friction affect the motion of a moving body on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a significant role in the motion of a moving body on an inclined plane. It counteracts the force of gravity and can either assist or hinder the movement of the body. If there is no friction, the body will slide down the plane due to the force of gravity. However, if there is enough friction, the body will remain stationary.

4. How can the speed of a moving body on an inclined plane be calculated?

The speed of a moving body on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (usually 0 on an inclined plane), a is the acceleration, and t is the time. The acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

5. What is the difference between an inclined plane and a ramp?

An inclined plane and a ramp are very similar but have one key difference. An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, while a ramp is a sloped surface that is used for moving objects from one level to another. A ramp is typically longer and has a gentler slope compared to an inclined plane.