Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving boundary problems

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Does anyone know any good references for a moving boundary problem? I am looking at a cylinder of charge being injected into a fluid, the PDE is:
    [tex]
    -\nabla^{2}\varphi +a\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi}{\partial t^{2}}+b\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial t}=0
    [/tex]
    I want [itex]\varphi =\varphi_{0}[/itex], a constant on the moving boundary [itex]x=v_{0}t[/itex]
    Can anyone suggest some possible solutions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me start by saying that I could be way off here as I haven't worked with moving boundaries before. However, why don't you shift to moving co-ordinates such that [itex]\eta = x - v_0 t[/itex], then your boundary value problem reduces to

[tex]-\nabla^{2}\varphi(\eta) + v_0\{av_0 - b\}\varphi(\eta) =0\;,[/tex]
    [tex]\varphi(0) = \varphi_0\;.[/tex]

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I tried this method before and I didn't get really far with it. You are still left with the problem of the origin moving away from you and that doesn't really help you much.

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I follow. In 1D (or a symmetric case in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] which reduces to 1D), you will be left with a family hyperbolic or trigonometric functions, depending on the sign. The remaining constant can be determined by the initial distribution of the field - I assumed that this is given.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. Jun 17, 2011 #5

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Initially, I am interested in a calculating the electric and magnetic fields from a cylinder of charge moving at a speed v_0 from a plane at x=0. The 1D case has been solved and some very nice solutions have been obtained and now my colleague and I are interested in the 2D case. We reduced the problem down to a damped wave equation which I thought was rather nice.

I am interested in the solution of [itex]\varphi[/itex] outside of the cylinder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook