Possible Solution for a Moving Cylinder of Charge Injected into a Fluid

• Thread starter hunt_mat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boundary
In summary: If I shift to moving co-ordinates such that \eta = x - v_0 t, then my boundary value problem reduces to-\nabla^{2}\varphi(\eta) + v_0\{av_0 - b\}\varphi(\eta) =0\;,\varphi(0) = \varphi_0\;.I tried this method before and I didn't get really far with it. You are still left with the problem of the origin moving away from you and that doesn't really help you much.The origin will always move away from you in a moving boundary problem, but there are various methods that can be used to find the solution. One
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
Does anyone know any good references for a moving boundary problem? I am looking at a cylinder of charge being injected into a fluid, the PDE is:
[tex]
-\nabla^{2}\varphi +a\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi}{\partial t^{2}}+b\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial t}=0
[/tex]
I want [itex]\varphi =\varphi_{0}[/itex], a constant on the moving boundary [itex]x=v_{0}t[/itex]
Can anyone suggest some possible solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me start by saying that I could be way off here as I haven't worked with moving boundaries before. However, why don't you shift to moving co-ordinates such that [itex]\eta = x - v_0 t[/itex], then your boundary value problem reduces to

[tex]-\nabla^{2}\varphi(\eta) + v_0\{av_0 - b\}\varphi(\eta) =0\;,[/tex]
[tex]\varphi(0) = \varphi_0\;.[/tex]

I tried this method before and I didn't get really far with it. You are still left with the problem of the origin moving away from you and that doesn't really help you much.

hunt_mat said:
I tried this method before and I didn't get really far with it. You are still left with the problem of the origin moving away from you and that doesn't really help you much.
I'm not sure I follow. In 1D (or a symmetric case in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] which reduces to 1D), you will be left with a family hyperbolic or trigonometric functions, depending on the sign. The remaining constant can be determined by the initial distribution of the field - I assumed that this is given.

Last edited:
Initially, I am interested in a calculating the electric and magnetic fields from a cylinder of charge moving at a speed v_0 from a plane at x=0. The 1D case has been solved and some very nice solutions have been obtained and now my colleague and I are interested in the 2D case. We reduced the problem down to a damped wave equation which I thought was rather nice.

I am interested in the solution of [itex]\varphi[/itex] outside of the cylinder.

Related to Possible Solution for a Moving Cylinder of Charge Injected into a Fluid

1. What is a moving boundary problem?

A moving boundary problem is a mathematical problem that involves the determination of the evolution of a boundary between two different phases or regions. This boundary is not fixed, but rather changes in time and space, making it a challenging problem to solve.

2. What are some real-world applications of moving boundary problems?

Moving boundary problems have various applications in different fields, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and chemical engineering. Examples include understanding the growth of a tumor in biology, the melting of ice in climate science, and the cooling of a metal during manufacturing processes.

3. What are the main challenges in solving moving boundary problems?

The main challenges in solving moving boundary problems include accurately capturing the movement of the boundary, dealing with non-linearities and complex geometries, and ensuring numerical stability. These problems require advanced mathematical techniques and computational methods to find a solution.

4. How do scientists and engineers approach solving moving boundary problems?

Scientists and engineers use a combination of analytical and numerical methods to solve moving boundary problems. This involves formulating the problem using mathematical equations, applying appropriate boundary and initial conditions, and using numerical algorithms to solve the equations iteratively until a solution is obtained.

5. What are some future developments in the field of moving boundary problems?

As technology continues to advance, there is a growing interest in developing more efficient and accurate numerical methods for solving moving boundary problems. Additionally, with the increasing use of machine learning and artificial intelligence, there is potential for these techniques to be applied to solving these complex problems in a more efficient and accurate manner.