Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving Onward from Introductory Java

1. Jun 25, 2011 #1
    After learning the basics of Java, what should I be learning about to help me prepare for the rest of a Comp Sci degree?

I am running Mac OS X, so I was thinking of learning my way around the terminal/bash, or something else Unix-based. My ultimate goal is software engineering, so I know that I will need to have an understanding of operating systems and the deep recesses of the software architecture. Also, I'd like to mess around with Linux (I think I've been saying that since the 90's), but would it be pointless to run Linux when I already have a Unix-based OS?

I understand that any answer will be subjective, but I would appreciate any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2011 #2
    Learn C, especially pointers, and maybe some assembler.

Learn a command line interface, bash on linux, unix, MacOs , or even cygwin on widows.

Learn some formal algorithms and logic.

Then depending on what strikes your fancy, databases, web servers, etc...

4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    you should learn the unix like or maybe linux terminal , try ubuntu hehe
    btw for fast progress in java visit this site :

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Jul 6, 2011 #4
    I'm in a similar position, maybe a year or so ahead of you, studying Comp Sci and learning Java, Linux, etc

The MacOS shell is similar to the shell(s) in Linux, but there's big and little differences all over the place. Learning one will help learn the other.

I run Windows but I do all my school work, and some of my playing, in Linux. I use Virtualbox to run Linux Mint 10 (based on Ubuntu) in a virtual machine. This is convenient as I often need to switch between OS's.

Get your hands dirty! :)

The more you do, the more you know. Linux is great fun and very powerful, you'll learn a lot about operating systems if you dig around, and there's a motherload of free software and libraries out there for you to use.

I've just completed my first proper course on Algorithms and Data Structures, core concepts for Computer Science / Software Engineering, and found it fun and very difficult! https://www.amazon.com/Introduction...3844/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310009722&sr=8-2 which I found to be fantastic and includes many exercises.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Jul 8, 2011 #5
    C/C++, Java(Core & Advanced) and Assembler

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook