1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mr. H Falls from the Top of a Climbing Wall

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    A 65 Kg Mr. H fell 8.0 m from the top of a climbing wall and he is going 12.52 m/s until he hits the mats. If the mats are 40 cm thick, how much force did they exert on him to prevent him from hitting the floor?

I think you need to use the vf^2=vi^2 + 2a(df-di) formula to find the acceleration. Then use that in the Fnet= ma but the problem is eluding me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since he falls at constant speed, 12.52 m/s, until he hits the mat, vi= 12.52. Since the mat prevents him from hitting hte floor, vf must be 0. di is 0 because he is just hitting the mat, df must be no larger than 40 cm= .4 m if he does not hit the floor.

(I am taking d= 0 at the top of the mat. You could as well take di= 40 and df= 0. That will change only the sign of the acceleration.)

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Thank you, so is using m(a+g) right?

65kg(15.65m/s^2 + 9.8 m/s^2) = 1654.25 N

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook