Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland - a clarification

• Thread starter ahaanomegas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland" and the concept of length contraction in a world where the speed of light is 20 mph. The person is wondering about the effects of this on Mr. Tompkins and those around him. The response clarifies that both parties would appear thinner to each other due to their relative speeds. The conversation also includes a link to the book.
ahaanomegas
I don't have the book Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland, but I have heard about it. A little introduction is needed. Mr. Tompkins lives in a world where the speed of light is 20 mph. Here, of course, relativity must be taken into account almost always. I was wondering about length contraction, though. If Mr. Tompkins is riding his bike at a speed close to that of light, he looks thinner to those standing on the sidewalk and the men on the sidewalk look fatter to Mr. Tompkins. Am I right? I'm a little confused about that about what is seen to whom and who sees what.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
No. If Mr Topkins is moving at speed v relative to the people on the side walk, then they are moving at speed v relative to him. He sees them as thinner and they see him as thinner than if they were motionless relative to him.

Nice link, thanks.

What is "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland - a clarification"?

"Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland - a clarification" is a book written by physicist George Gamow that uses fictional stories to explain complex scientific concepts in an easy-to-understand manner. It is a sequel to his earlier book, "Mr. Tompkins in Paperback."

Who is Mr. Tompkins?

Mr. Tompkins is a fictional character created by George Gamow to represent the average person in his stories. He is a curious and adventurous bank clerk who encounters various scientific phenomena and learns about them through his experiences.

What scientific concepts are explained in "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland - a clarification"?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including relativity, quantum mechanics, atomic structure, and the nature of the universe. It also explores concepts such as time travel, the fourth dimension, and the uncertainty principle.

Is "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland - a clarification" suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, the book is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. It uses storytelling and simple language to explain complex concepts, making it enjoyable and easy to understand for readers of all backgrounds.

Is "Mr. Tompkins in Wonderland - a clarification" still relevant today?

Absolutely. Although the book was first published in 1940, the scientific concepts and theories explained in it are still relevant and widely studied today. It provides a timeless and entertaining way to learn about physics and its role in understanding the universe.