MS Eng without BS Eng: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter cdotter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in pursuing engineering or engineering physics degrees, their concerns about being able to graduate on time with a physics degree, and the possibility of transferring schools. They also mention the potential challenges and requirements for obtaining a license in engineering with a non-engineering degree. The conversation ends with a request for input or experiences from others who have made a similar transition.
cdotter
After thinking for a few weeks I've realized that I like the applications of physics much more than researching physics. The problem is that my school doesn't offer engineering or engineering physics degrees, so I'm stuck with either physics or chemistry.

If my medical school plans don't flesh out, I think I'd like to go into aerospace or mechanical engineering. Right now I'm leaning towards chemistry because I'll actually be able to graduate on time instead of staying an extra semester with physics. I've read that it shouldn't be too hard to go from a bachelors in physics from a masters in engineering, but what about chemistry to mechanical engineering? I know I would have to take remedial classes, but would they even allow a chemistry student into a mechanical engineering program? By the time I graduate with a chemistry degree I should have Physics 1/2 and Calculus 1-3 (I could also squeeze in Diff Eq 1 and Linear Algebra).

I've looked at simply transferring schools, but the school I'm interested in doesn't accept transfer students for MechE - they only accept 3-2 transfers which is too expensive.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you'll be way behind - you'll have to take a number of engineering classes just to be prepared. That doesn't preclude you from doing this, but it may be something to consider.

Second, if your career plans require getting a license, be aware that some states require a bachelor's in engineering. A masters or even doctorate isn't sufficient - they want to see a BS.

I received an MS in electro-optical engineering with a B.S. in Physics. (With this, I worked for the USAF doing materials characterization for optical applications.)

But this would bear looking into:
Vanadium 50 said:
... if your career plans require getting a license, be aware that some states require a bachelor's in engineering. A masters or even doctorate isn't sufficient - they want to see a BS.

At one point, I couldn't get a lectureship in an engineering program because I didn't have a bachelor's in engineering... even though the lectureship would have been teaching their Newtonian mechanics courses! (and by that time I had a Ph.D. in physics).

Anyone else have any more input or experiences in going from a B.S. Chemistry to an M.S. in Engineering (non-ChemE)?

Related to MS Eng without BS Eng: Is it Possible?

1. Can I pursue a MS in Engineering without a BS in Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MS in Engineering without a BS in Engineering. Some universities offer a bridge program for students with a non-engineering background, while others may require additional coursework to fulfill the prerequisite knowledge.

2. What are the requirements to enter a MS in Engineering program without a BS in Engineering?

The requirements vary depending on the university, but most programs will require a strong background in math and science, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. Some programs may also require a certain GPA or GRE scores.

3. How long does it take to complete a MS in Engineering without a BS in Engineering?

The length of time to complete a MS in Engineering without a BS in Engineering can vary, but it typically takes 2-3 years. This may also depend on the program's credit requirements and if the student is pursuing the degree full-time or part-time.

4. Are there any disadvantages to pursuing a MS in Engineering without a BS in Engineering?

One potential disadvantage is that students without a BS in Engineering may have to take additional courses to fulfill the prerequisite knowledge, which could add to the cost and time of the degree. Additionally, some job opportunities may require a BS in Engineering, so it's important to research the specific industry and job market before pursuing a MS in Engineering without a BS in Engineering.

5. Can I specialize in a specific field of engineering without a BS in Engineering?

Yes, most MS in Engineering programs allow students to choose a specialization, regardless of their undergraduate background. However, some specializations may have more specific prerequisite requirements, so it's important to research the program's curriculum and requirements before choosing a specialization.