1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MS Eng without BS Eng?

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    After thinking for a few weeks I've realized that I like the applications of physics much more than researching physics. The problem is that my school doesn't offer engineering or engineering physics degrees, so I'm stuck with either physics or chemistry.

If my medical school plans don't flesh out, I think I'd like to go into aerospace or mechanical engineering. Right now I'm leaning towards chemistry because I'll actually be able to graduate on time instead of staying an extra semester with physics. I've read that it shouldn't be too hard to go from a bachelors in physics from a masters in engineering, but what about chemistry to mechanical engineering? I know I would have to take remedial classes, but would they even allow a chemistry student into a mechanical engineering program? By the time I graduate with a chemistry degree I should have Physics 1/2 and Calculus 1-3 (I could also squeeze in Diff Eq 1 and Linear Algebra).

I've looked at simply transferring schools, but the school I'm interested in doesn't accept transfer students for MechE - they only accept 3-2 transfers which is too expensive.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

First, you'll be way behind - you'll have to take a number of engineering classes just to be prepared. That doesn't preclude you from doing this, but it may be something to consider.

Second, if your career plans require getting a license, be aware that some states require a bachelor's in engineering. A masters or even doctorate isn't sufficient - they want to see a BS.

4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    I received an MS in electro-optical engineering with a B.S. in Physics. (With this, I worked for the USAF doing materials characterization for optical applications.)

But this would bear looking into:
    At one point, I couldn't get a lectureship in an engineering program because I didn't have a bachelor's in engineering... even though the lectureship would have been teaching their Newtonian mechanics courses! (and by that time I had a Ph.D. in physics).

5. Jan 2, 2009 #4
    Anyone else have any more input or experiences in going from a B.S. Chemistry to an M.S. in Engineering (non-ChemE)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?