MS in Architectural Engineering vs MS in Mechanical Engineering

In summary: I understand. I don't know if I will even "do it at all". I only found the route you took to be interesting. I won't hijack your thread with my irrelevant thoughts. Hopefully, somebody who's knowledgeable enough will spot this and answer your question. :)
timsea81
Which is harder? The MS Mechanical Engineering program I'm just starting seems pretty intense and heavy on physics. I'm currently working in AE, but I chose ME for a variety of reasons. Is a MS program in Architectural Engineering equally heavy in physics and theory, or is it more practical things you use as a consulting engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you probably know more about this than I do...

Your degrees do leave me very curious though: how did you end up working in architecture with a BS in Mathematics? I ask because it's very likely that I will be doing Maths or Physics.

Mépris said:
I'm afraid you probably know more about this than I do...

Your degrees do leave me very curious though: how did you end up working in architecture with a BS in Mathematics? I ask because it's very likely that I will be doing Maths or Physics.

I work in Architectural Engineering, not Architecture. I started out as a CAD Operator (a position that does not require a 4 year degree) and worked my way up a little bit to where I'm doing design and basically the same thing a jr engineer would be doing, but my title is "designer" not "engineer". To move up any further, I need a degree in engineering, whence the MS degree I am working on now. I would not recommend this course of action to anyone who has not yet finished their first BS degree. If I had chosen engineering over math I would be in a much better position by now. Don't do it the way I did it.

timsea81 said:
I work in Architectural Engineering, not Architecture. I started out as a CAD Operator (a position that does not require a 4 year degree) and worked my way up a little bit to where I'm doing design and basically the same thing a jr engineer would be doing, but my title is "designer" not "engineer". To move up any further, I need a degree in engineering, whence the MS degree I am working on now. I would not recommend this course of action to anyone who has not yet finished their first BS degree. If I had chosen engineering over math I would be in a much better position by now. Don't do it the way I did it.

I understand. I don't know if I will even "do it at all". I only found the route you took to be interesting. I won't hijack your thread with my irrelevant thoughts. Hopefully, somebody who's knowledgeable enough will spot this and answer your question. :)

Both the MS in Architectural Engineering and MS in Mechanical Engineering programs require a strong foundation in physics and theory. However, the focus and application of these principles may differ between the two disciplines.

In the MS Mechanical Engineering program, you will likely encounter a heavy emphasis on the fundamentals of mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. These concepts are essential for understanding and designing mechanical systems and components.

On the other hand, the MS in Architectural Engineering program may have a stronger focus on the practical application of engineering principles in the design and construction of buildings and structures. This may include topics such as building systems, structural analysis, and energy efficiency.

Both programs require a strong understanding of physics and theory, but the application and emphasis may differ. Ultimately, the difficulty of the program will depend on your personal strengths and interests. As you have already chosen ME for your MS, it is likely that you are comfortable with the intense and physics-heavy curriculum. However, it is important to note that the practical application of engineering principles can also be challenging and requires a strong understanding of theory.

1. What is the difference between MS in Architectural Engineering and MS in Mechanical Engineering?

MS in Architectural Engineering focuses on the design and construction of buildings, while MS in Mechanical Engineering focuses on the design and development of mechanical systems and devices. In other words, architectural engineering is more focused on the building as a whole, while mechanical engineering is more focused on the individual mechanical components within a building.

2. Which degree offers better job prospects?

Both MS in Architectural Engineering and MS in Mechanical Engineering can lead to promising career opportunities. However, the demand for mechanical engineers is generally higher in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy. On the other hand, architectural engineers are in high demand in the construction and building design industries.

3. Can I switch between the two fields after completing one of the degrees?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two fields after completing one of the degrees. Many of the core skills and knowledge in both fields overlap, so with additional training or experience, it is possible to transition from one to the other. However, some specialized knowledge and skills may need to be acquired in order to make the switch.

4. Which degree offers higher earning potential?

The earning potential for both degrees can vary depending on various factors such as job location, industry, and experience. Generally, mechanical engineers tend to have a higher median salary than architectural engineers. However, with experience and specialization, both degrees can lead to high-paying career opportunities.

5. Can I pursue both degrees simultaneously?

It is possible to pursue both degrees simultaneously, but it may require a significant amount of time and effort. The coursework for both degrees may overlap in some areas, which can make it more manageable. However, it is important to carefully consider the workload and time commitment before deciding to pursue both degrees at the same time.