MS in Physics after Mechanical

In summary, the individual is in their final year of Mechanical Engineering and has written the GRE exam. They are interested in studying Physics, but are unsure if they can make the switch with an engineering background and what requirements they would need to meet. They are considering writing the Physics GRE exam or pursuing an internship in a related field. They are seeking advice and have been directed to a forum for further discussion.
dhananjay.unn
Hi!
I am currently in my final year doing Mechanical Engg from a Govt college.
I have written GRE and will start applying for universities in 3 week's time.
But, my interest in Mechanical engg is going down day by day. Since my 9th grade, I've always wanted to study Physics.

My question is: Is it possible for me to jump to pure Physics with an Engg background?
If I have to apply to foreign universities, what are the requirements I will need, to compensate for my lack of a basic degree in Physics?
Will writing PHYSICS GRE help me?
Or should I try for an internship in a Physics related field?

I am desperately looking forward to your replies.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much. I will try posting this in that forum. Hope I will get a reply.

1. What is the difference between a MS in Physics and a MS in Mechanical Engineering?

A MS in Physics focuses on the fundamental principles of matter and energy, while a MS in Mechanical Engineering focuses on the design, development, and analysis of mechanical systems. While there may be some overlap in coursework, the two programs have different focuses and career paths.

2. Can I pursue a MS in Physics after completing my undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a MS in Physics after completing an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering. However, you may need to take some additional coursework to meet the prerequisites for the program. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor to create a plan for your graduate studies.

3. What career opportunities are available with a MS in Physics after Mechanical Engineering?

Graduates with a MS in Physics after Mechanical Engineering can pursue a variety of career paths, such as research and development in industries such as aerospace, energy, and materials science. They can also work in government agencies, academic institutions, or pursue further education in a PhD program.

4. How long does it take to complete a MS in Physics after Mechanical Engineering?

The length of a MS in Physics program after completing a degree in Mechanical Engineering can vary depending on the individual's course load and program requirements. Typically, it takes 2-3 years to complete a MS program, but it may take longer if additional coursework is required or if the student chooses to complete a thesis.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a MS in Physics after Mechanical Engineering?

A MS in Physics after Mechanical Engineering will provide you with a strong understanding of the principles of physics and their application to mechanical systems. You will also gain skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, as well as hands-on experience with laboratory work and research methods. These skills are valuable in a variety of industries and can help prepare you for a successful career in the field of physics.