MS Office/Word language settings

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the user is experiencing an issue with their Word program, which was installed by their French-origin company, where the low-level settings are causing French choices for things like the dictionary and writing style. Despite trying to change the settings in various places, the issue still persists. They mention a similar issue with Chinese toolbars appearing on a Linux machine and suggest checking the Microsoft KDB for a potential fix.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm using Word (which was installed by my company, which is by coincidence, French in origin) and it seems to have some low-level setting that causes it to make French choices for things such as the dictionary and the "Writing Style". As a result, the Word dictionary thinks half my document is gibberish.

This is not simply a bad choice of dictionary, it's deeper than that.

eg.:
- Under Tools |Grammar, there is a 'writing style' option dropdown. The dropdown options are 'Grammaire' and 'Grammaire et style'
- If I look in Grammaire, I see that the text in the checkable options are ALL French.

I can't find any other place in Word where you might be able to flick a language switch. I suspect it'd be in my System Settings or Control Panel or somewhere similar.
I have checked Regional and Langauge Settings in Control Panel, and they're set to US English.
I have also checked MS Office 2003 Langauge Settings. Enabled default languages is set to US English.

Note that everything else in Word is in English and works fine - it's just in the app's ability to help me edit my content that's wonky.

Help?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
i had a similar problem with chinese toolbars showing up in Word...but I'm on a linux machine right now. Do you have the CD with you?

Try the Microsoft KDB to see if it has a fix for you. Their KDB is generally very helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/

Related to MS Office/Word language settings

1. What is the purpose of changing the language settings in MS Office/Word?

The language settings in MS Office/Word allow you to change the default language for editing, spell check, and grammar check. This is useful if you are working in a multilingual environment or if you need to write documents in a language other than your system's default language.

2. How do I change the language settings in MS Office/Word?

To change the language settings in MS Office/Word, go to the "File" tab, click on "Options," then select "Language" from the left menu. Here, you can choose the editing, display, and help languages for your documents.

3. Can I have multiple language settings in one document in MS Office/Word?

Yes, you can have multiple language settings in one document in MS Office/Word. This is useful if you need to write in different languages within the same document. You can set the language for each section or paragraph individually by selecting the text and then choosing the desired language from the language menu.

4. How do I add a new language to the language settings in MS Office/Word?

To add a new language to the language settings, go to the "File" tab, click on "Options," then select "Language" from the left menu. Click on the "Add additional editing languages" button and select the language you want to add. You may need to download and install the language pack for that language.

5. Why is the spell check not working in the correct language in MS Office/Word?

If the spell check is not working in the correct language, make sure that the correct language is selected in the language settings. Also, check if the language pack for that language is installed on your system. If not, you may need to download and install it. Additionally, check that the language settings for the specific section or paragraph are also set correctly.