MS Office/Word language settings

DaveC426913
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm using Word (which was installed by my company, which is by coincidence, French in origin) and it seems to have some low-level setting that causes it to make French choices for things such as the dictionary and the "Writing Style". As a result, the Word dictionary thinks half my document is gibberish.

This is not simply a bad choice of dictionary, it's deeper than that.

eg.:
- Under Tools |Grammar, there is a 'writing style' option dropdown. The dropdown options are 'Grammaire' and 'Grammaire et style'
- If I look in Grammaire, I see that the text in the checkable options are ALL French.

I can't find any other place in Word where you might be able to flick a language switch. I suspect it'd be in my System Settings or Control Panel or somewhere similar.
I have checked Regional and Language Settings in Control Panel, and they're set to US English.
I have also checked MS Office 2003 Langauge Settings. Enabled default languages is set to US English.

Note that everything else in Word is in English and works fine - it's just in the app's ability to help me edit my content that's wonky.

Help?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

i had a similar problem with chinese toolbars showing up in Word...but i'm on a linux machine right now. Do you have the CD with you?

berkeman
Mentor