Msc computational engineering (FEM) or Msc financial engineering

In summary: I have heard that the oil and gas sector is booming and that might be a good investment!In summary, an Msc in computational engineering is a good option for someone with computer science experience who is interested in financial markets. However, the field is currently not hiring and the degree is niche.
geol
Hello and nice finding you!For a long time now I am thinking of financial markets and the world of derivatives as a very good future opportunity.Since I am a ''computational guy'' and in love with the finite element analysis,I decided to let my mind go of the Msc in geotechnical engineering and to start thinking of a Msc in computational engineering.Now my question is,what is the best to do?An Msc in computational engineering and a thesis or Phd on FEM and derivatives or going straight for an Msc in financial engineering?Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to read and answer my question! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
geol said:
Hello and nice finding you!For a long time now I am thinking of financial markets and the world of derivatives as a very good future opportunity.

Derivatives (particularly exotics) aren't hiring. The current hiring revolves around risk management and algorithmic trading.

Since I am a ''computational guy'' and in love with the finite element analysis,I decided to let my mind go of the Msc in geotechnical engineering and to start thinking of a Msc in computational engineering.

Finite element analysis turns out to be almost useless for financial problems. Finite element works best when you have a set of dynamics that stay the same but you have complex and changing boundary conditions. In most financial problems, the boundary conditions are trivial but the dynamics are complex. So you see mostly monte carlo, a lot of finite differences, and maybe an analytic equation here and there.

Also if you are getting out soon, I'd have to say that oil/gas looks better than CS or finance right now.

Now my question is,what is the best to do?An Msc in computational engineering and a thesis or Phd on FEM and derivatives or going straight for an Msc in financial engineering?Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to read and answer my question! :biggrin:

Depends where you are. If you have working computer science experience, I'd skip the degree and talk to a recruiter that hires for financial companies. If you just have a bachelors, I'd recommend against a financial engineering degree because it's too niche.

Thanks for answering my question! I have heard something about pricing derivatives by using the FEM so I just told myself to give it a try.Moreover in an Msc of computational engineering I suppose I will broaden my horizons not only in FEM but also in several computational methods,that is why I have had it in my mind.So your opinion is that you recommend against the financial engineering Msc?

ps I am not getting out soon and I have bachelor. :smile:

geol said:
Thanks for answering my question! I have heard something about pricing derivatives by using the FEM so I just told myself to give it a try.Moreover in an Msc of computational engineering I suppose I will broaden my horizons not only in FEM but also in several computational methods,that is why I have had it in my mind.So your opinion is that you recommend against the financial engineering Msc?

Pricing derivatives with FEM is an interesting research topic, but it's not used in any production system that I know of, and that's because the specific mathematical form of derivatives don't fit into FEM. But these sorts of things can change quickly.

I tend to be very negative toward MFE's because you are hosed if the banking industry blows up, whereas with computational engineering, you can still apply for banking jobs, and avoid them if things blow up.

The only reason I'd even consider an MFE is if the school has good job placement, but that involves talking to actual alumni rather than reading the schools website. Also, if you have MFE alumni that can't find a job in finance but get decent jobs elsewhere, that's a very good sign.

Also going into geology isn't a bad move right now. One thing about finance is that you can still get good pay for good work, but the totally crazy salaries people were getting in the early-2000's are gone, and I don't think they are coming back anytime soon. The salaries are still decent, but the gap between financial computing and non-financial high end computing has shrunk considerably to the point that I don't think it makes any sense now to focus exclusive on finance.

Last edited:
twofish-quant said:
I tend to be very negative toward MFE's because you are hosed if the banking industry blows up, whereas with computational engineering, you can still apply for banking jobs, and avoid them if things blow up.
This is exactly what I believe and that is the reason why I was between these two Msc's.I consider that having an Msc in computational engineering will provide me a much better mathematical background and generaly more qualifications for many jobs,including finance!The reason I asked this question is just if somebody had any idea what financial institutions prefer better,the first one or the second one. :smile:

twofish-quant said:
Also going into geology isn't a bad move right now. One thing about finance is that you can still get good pay for good work, but the totally crazy salaries people were getting in the early-2000's are gone, and I don't think they are coming back anytime soon. The salaries are still decent, but the gap between financial computing and non-financial high end computing has shrunk considerably to the point that I don't think it makes any sense now to focus exclusive on finance.
In fact I am a geologist and I have just started a 5 year bachelor in mining engineering.. :smile:

1. What is Msc computational engineering (FEM)?

Msc computational engineering (FEM) stands for Master of Science in Computational Engineering with a specialization in Finite Element Method (FEM). It is a graduate program that focuses on the use of numerical methods and computer simulations to solve complex engineering problems.

2. What is the difference between Msc computational engineering (FEM) and Msc financial engineering?

Msc computational engineering (FEM) is a program that focuses on the application of computational methods in engineering, while Msc financial engineering focuses on the use of mathematical and statistical tools to analyze and manage financial risk. Both programs may have some overlapping courses, but they have different areas of focus and career paths.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates of Msc computational engineering (FEM) and Msc financial engineering?

Graduates of Msc computational engineering (FEM) can pursue careers in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and manufacturing, as well as in research and development. Graduates of Msc financial engineering can work in financial institutions, investment firms, and insurance companies, as well as in risk management and financial analysis roles.

4. Is a background in engineering or finance necessary for these programs?

While having a relevant undergraduate degree in engineering or finance can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Some universities may require prerequisite courses to ensure that students have the necessary foundation for the program. However, individuals with a strong background in mathematics, computer science, or physics may also be eligible for these programs.

5. What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from Msc computational engineering (FEM) and Msc financial engineering?

Students in both programs can expect to gain advanced knowledge in their respective fields, as well as skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and computer programming. They will also develop critical thinking, communication, and teamwork skills through project-based learning and collaboration with industry professionals.