1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Much panic, no solutions.

1. Feb 18, 2017 #1
    So I have a multiple step problem for my mechanics class and the teacher decided to write his own solutions.

I know exactly how to attempt and finish the problem. I know it will be wrong. Recently if I try things on my own there will be a slight gap in the knowledge or math, or magic physics magic that will lead to be the problem being completely incorrect to my understanding of it. Its getting slightly better the more problems I do, but this one has no solutions so there is about as much chance of my knowing if I solved the problem correctly as there is about detecting gravitational waves with a overcooked scallop.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And is there a point to this rant or did you just need to get that off your chest?

4. Feb 18, 2017 #3
    uhh yeah. How do I do this problem if its going to be wrong?

5. Feb 18, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since you have given us no clue what the problem IS, I wouldn't have a clue how you might go about solving it.

6. Feb 18, 2017 #5
    that is not the point. The point i how can you be certain about what the correct answer is regardless of the problem.

7. Feb 18, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry but that question makes no sense to me so I can't help you.

8. Feb 18, 2017 #7
    sure sure.

9. Apr 1, 2017 #8
    Look, the only way to always be right on a problem is to make no mistakes. If you got a wrong answer then you made a mistake. That might just be because you accidentally put something in a calculator wrong, or it might be that you have an incorrect or incomplete understanding of the theory. If you want some magic way of always getting the right answer, the only thing I can give you is "always understand it perfectly" and "never make a mistake". Those are pretty general solutions, I think.

If you tell us the specific problem and list your work, we might be able to help you find either the mistake or the misunderstanding, whichever it is. Without that, there is really nothing to give.

10. Apr 2, 2017 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, since this OP was recently banned (not for this thread), there is no point trying to help them anymore with this question. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook