Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multidim. Gaussian integral with linear term

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    Hey everyone,

I know, lots of threads and online information about Gaussian integrals. But still, I couldn't find what I am looking for: Is there a general formula for the integral

[tex] \int_{\mathbb{R}^d} d^d y \left|\vec{y}\right| \exp(-\alpha \vec{y}^2)[/tex]

where y is a vector of arbitrary dimension d and alpha is a complex number? It could be done in hyperspherical coordinates but its cumbersome. So I wanted to look up a general expression but couldn't find one. Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2
    Hi Orbb,

I think the formula you are looking for is
    [tex]\frac{\pi^{\frac{d}{2}}}{\alpha}\frac{1}{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}[/tex]

It is straightforward to get this result in spherical co-ordinates and I don’t think you can find any easier way to do it.
    Assume
    [tex] |\vec{y}| = r = \sqrt{x_{1}^2+x_{2}^2+\cdot\cdot\cdot x_{d}^2},[/tex]

and
    [tex] y^2 = x_{1}^2+x_{2}^2+\cdot\cdot\cdot x_{d}^2.[/tex]

Converting to spherical co-ords gives

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{\phi_1=0}^{\pi}\int_{\phi_2=0}^{\pi}\cdot\cdot\cdot\int_{\phi_{d-2}=0}^{\pi}\int_{\phi_{d-1}}^{2\pi}\sin^{d-2}(\phi_1) \sin^{d-3}(\phi_2 )\cdot\cdot\cdot\sin(\phi_{d-2})r\exp(-\alpha r^2)d\phi_{1}d\phi_2\cdot\cdot\cdotd\phi_{d-1}dr.[/tex]

Now
    [tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} r\exp(-\alpha r^2)dr = \frac{1}{2\alpha},
    [/tex]
    and
    [tex]
    \int_{0}^{\pi}\sin^{n}(\theta)d\theta=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}\Gamma(\frac{1+n}{2})}{\Gamma(1+\frac{n}{2})}.
    [/tex]

Combining the above results (don’t forget [tex]\int_{\phi_{d-1}=0}^{2\pi}d\phi_{d-1}=2\pi[/tex]) and simplifying (must of the [tex]\Gamma[/tex] terms will cancel) results in
    [tex]\int_{\mathbb{R}^d} d^d y \left|\vec{y}\right| \exp(-\alpha \vec{y}^2)
    =\frac{\pi^{\frac{d}{2}}}{\alpha}\frac{1}{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}
    [/tex]

4. May 6, 2010 #3
    Thank you for taking the time, appelberry. I tried the same by now. Only when converting to spherical coordinates, shouldn't the integral over r be:

[tex] \int_0^\infty r^{d-1} \left[r \exp(-\alpha r^2)\right] dr [/tex] ?

this should give

[tex] \sqrt{\pi} \frac{(d-1)!!}{2^{d/2+1}} \alpha^{-\frac{d+1}{2}} [/tex]

for odd d and

[tex] \frac{[1/2(d-1)]!}{2} \alpha^{-\frac{d+1}{2}} [/tex]

for even d. Is that correct? It is quite important wether the power of alpha depends on d in the result.

5. May 6, 2010 #4
    Woops! yea, of course you are right. I forgot the [tex]r^{d-1}[/tex] term! I think your answer looks correct now.

6. May 6, 2010 #5
    okay, thank you!

7. Jun 1, 2010 #6
    Alright, again I'm troubled by a nasty integral. I guess it does not deserve it's own thread since it's a similar problem and the above has been solved. So I have an integral of the form:

[tex] \int_{\mathbb{R}^d}d^d x \exp\left(i\vec{a}\cdot\vec{x}-i\sqrt{b\vec{x}^2+c}-d\vec{x}^2\right) [/tex]

Ok I think there's no hope of solving it analytically without approximations. If there is a way, please let me know of course :wink: I think an expansion of the square root around x=0 isn't an option either because the taylor series doesn't converge for large x, right? So what I'm left with is the following: the square root actually comes from a relativistic expression [tex] \sqrt{p^2+m^2}[/tex], so the 'ultrarelativistic' or 'massless' limit p >> m (i.e. bx >> c) would give the integral:

[tex] \int_{\mathbb{R}^d}d^d x \exp\left(i\vec{a}\cdot\vec{x}-ib|\vec{x}|-d\vec{x}^2\right) [/tex]

This looks better. Written in polar coordinates, the scalar product gives an angular cos-dependence. Can I simply assume that my coordinates are oriented s.t. this dependence corresponds only to one of the d-1 angles I have to integrate over?

Anyways, any suggestions or solutions greatly appreciated!

8. Jun 8, 2010 #7
    Yes, I think you can assume that the angle is dependent on only one of the angles in a spherical polar co-ordinate system by assuming that the vector [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] lies along one of the axes in the system similar to the approach in the following integral:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=376233

You can then integrate out the angular portion using the identity:

[tex]
    \int^{2\pi}_{0}\exp(x\cos\theta)d\theta = 2\pi I_{0}(x)
    [/tex]

which will leave you with a single integral over the magnitude of the vector [tex]\vec{x}[/tex].

9. Jun 15, 2010 #8
    Thanks for your answer! This is what I did first. However, I was struggling because it seems to me that the dependence on all the other angles drops only if I assume [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] to lie along the polar axis. In this case, the angular integration would be

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} sin^{d-2}\theta\exp(i|\vec{a}|rcos\theta)d\theta.[/tex]

It would be beautiful if I could do the integration the way you suggested, but from making a sketch for the d=3 sphere it seems to me an integration over the azimuthal angle doesn't work. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Also, I could live with a restriction to d=3 to make things simpler. For this case again I tried to manipulate the above integral to arrive at an expression in terms of bessel functions, but failed so far :wink:

Edit: For the case d=3, [tex]\int_0^{\pi} sin\theta\exp(i|\vec{a}|rcos\theta)d\theta =\frac{2sin(r|\vec{a}|)}{r|\vec{a}|}.[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook