Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple distributed loads on a beam

1. Apr 23, 2015 #1
    Hi all, my professor has hinted at proposing a question of this sort to us for a shear and bending moment diagram. Now while I am comfortable with having [either] a uniformly distributed load or a varying one, I'm not sure how to deal with both. I can't seem to find anything in my text book to deal with this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

upload_2015-4-23_18-5-34.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Apr 26, 2015 #3
    No we were never taught that and aren't expected to know how to apply that. Is there any other way to go about this problem?

5. Apr 26, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can still add the two distributed loads together algebraically point by point.

You can do the same with the shear force and bending moment curves developed for each load: for example, calculate the shear force curve for the constant distribution and the shear force curve for the triangular distribution, then add each together algebraically point by point. Rinse and repeat for the bending moment curves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook