1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Slit Interference - 3rd Slit Added Between 2 Slits

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose a third slit of the same width were added halfway between the original two slits.
    (the original two slits were a distance d apart). When there were just 2 slits, the point C was the center (a principal max), point Z was the first maximum after C, point Y was the second maximum after C, and point X was the minimum after Y (or the 3rd minimum after C).

a. Would point Z be a principal maximum, a minimum, or neither? Explain
    b. Would point Y be a principal maximum, a minimum, or neither? Explain
    c. Would point X be a principal maximum, a minimum, or neither? Explain

2. Relevant equations

ΔD = dsinθ where ΔD is the path length difference between slits, and d is the distance between slits

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know where to begin. If we say ΔD1 was the path length difference between the two slits, then ΔD2 = 2 ΔD1 where ΔD2 is the path length difference between slit 1 and 3. (by my labeling original slits were slit 1 and 3, and slit 2 was added in the middle, a distance d/2 from each original slit)

I know C would still be a maximum because it is the center. Other than that, I'm not sure where to begin. Any tips are appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook