Multiplication of Maclaurin Series

In summary, The first three non-zero terms of the Maclaurin series for the function e-x2 + Cos[x] are 1 - x2/2 + x4/24. To find these terms, you must use all the terms of the three lowest powers (x0 x2 and x4) in the product of the two Taylor polynomials (1 - x2+ x4/2)(1 - x2/2 + x4/24).
JeffNYC
I have the following problem:

find the first 3 non-zero terms in the Maclaurin series for the function:

e-x2 + Cos[x]

I know in this case, the series behave like polynomials and I have done the following. The left expression is the first 3 terms of the e portion of the problem, and the second expression is the first 3 terms of Cosx.

(1 - x2+ x4/2)(1 - x2/2 + x4/24)

this =

1 - x2/2 + x4/24 - x2 - x4/2 - x6/24 + x4 - x6/4 + x8/48

How do I know which terms are the "first 3 non-zero terms" of this series?

Thanks - the answer is attached, I just don't understand how the polynomial, after multiplied out is consolidated at the end.

Jeff
power series multiplication answer.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
JeffNYC said:
find the first 3 non-zero terms in the Maclaurin series for the function:

e-x2 + Cos[x]

(1 - x2+ x4/2)(1 - x2/2 + x4/24)

this =

1 - x2/2 + x4/24 - x2 - x4/2 - x6/24 + x4 - x6/4 + x8/48

How do I know which terms are the "first 3 non-zero terms" of this series?

Hi Jeff! :smile:

(You meant e-x2 *Cos[x] :wink:)

The "first three terms" would be 1 + 0.x - x2/2 .

"non-zero" simply means that you skip over "0.x" and "0.x3" :smile:
Thanks - the answer is attached, I just don't understand how the polynomial, after multiplied out is consolidated at the end.

You can always change the order of the terms of a series (except if you're using an infinite number of terms, in which case there are rules to follow :wink:).

Tiny-Tim,

Thanks, and yes - not sure how "+" found its way in there :-)

2 Questions -

What is "0.x" and since the 2 original series are infinite, isn't the product of the series infinite as well?

So, just to confirm: If I take the first 3 terms of each Taylor polynomial and multiply through (line 4 in the image), I can use any 3 non zero terms of that product? What convention compelled them to use:

1 - 1.5x2 +25/24x4 as the answer to the question?

Many Thanks,

Jeff

JeffNYC said:
What is "0.x" and since the 2 original series are infinite, isn't the product of the series infinite as well?

I meant 0 times x.

Yes, it is infinite, but you're only using a few terms at the beginning.
So, just to confirm: If I take the first 3 terms of each Taylor polynomial and multiply through (line 4 in the image), I can use any 3 non zero terms of that product?

Nooo … you must use all the terms of the three lowest powers (x0 x2 and x4).

Those are the "first 3 non-zero terms". :smile:

Great - that clarifies it perfectly. Thanks for your help, Tim.

Jeff

FAQ: Multiplication of Maclaurin Series

1. What is the purpose of multiplying Maclaurin series?

The purpose of multiplying Maclaurin series is to represent a more complicated function as a product of simpler functions. This allows for easier calculation and approximation of the original function.

2. How does one multiply two Maclaurin series?

To multiply two Maclaurin series, you can use the Cauchy product rule. This involves multiplying the coefficients of each series and then arranging them in a specific pattern to create the new series.

3. Can Maclaurin series be multiplied with any other type of series?

Yes, Maclaurin series can be multiplied with other types of series, such as Taylor series or Fourier series. However, the resulting series may not always converge to the original function, so caution should be taken when using this method.

4. Are there any limitations to multiplying Maclaurin series?

Yes, there are limitations to multiplying Maclaurin series. The series must be absolutely convergent for the multiplication to be valid. Additionally, the resulting series may not always converge to the original function, so it is important to check for convergence before using the multiplied series.

5. How can multiplying Maclaurin series be applied in real-world situations?

Multiplying Maclaurin series can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to approximate complex functions and make calculations easier. For example, in physics, Maclaurin series multiplication can be used to calculate the position and velocity of a moving object at a given time.