Multiplicative closure for subring test?

In summary, it is assumed that * is closed in a ring, thus making it easy to prove that a subring is closed under * as well. However, when considering subsets of a ring, closure must be explicitly shown. The ring axioms also assume closure of * in a ring, but this may not be explicitly stated in all sources.
phasic
Everything about the subring test is straightforward from the subgroup test, but the multiplicative operation of the subring, S, of ring, R, needs to be closed wrt multiplication, *. How do you prove S is closed wrt * if the only assumption about * is associativity and distributivity over addition in R? Please let me know if I need to clarify.

EDIT: I found the answer. Apparently * is assumed to be closed in a ring. My algebra book made no mention of this and it seems many sources don't! The ring axioms on proofwiki.org assume * is closed in a ring, thus a subring, making my question easy to answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ask a complete well formulated question if you want an answer, i.e. yes.

Assume (R,+,*) is a ring.
Assume (S,+,*) is a subring of R.
Prove that if a,b [itex]\in[/itex] S, then a*b [itex]\in[/itex] S.

This is difficult because the properties of rings, thus subrings, are that (R,+) and (S,+) are an Abelian group and Abelian subgroup, respectively. Also, * distributes over + in R, thus S. However, * on R is associative, thus * on S is associative, but * is not necessarily closed wrt S, though it is wrt R.

Does that help?

EDIT: I found the answer. Apparently * is assumed to be closed in a ring. My algebra book made no mention of this and it seems many sources don't! The ring axioms on proofwiki.org assume * is closed in a ring, thus a subring, making my question easy to answer.

Last edited:
the words " S is a ring" implies your problem as you seem to realize.

have you noticed that once you stated your problem clearly you also solved it?

When the phrase "binary operation on a set" is used, closure is always implicit.

First, the sources I've seen don't explicitly state 'binary' operation in their ring axioms. Second, the implicit closure should come into question when subgroups and subrings are being considered, for it is their closure with respect to binary operations within a subset of a group/ring that needs to be verified.

I'll extend my previous comment: binary operations are implicitly closed, and it is not uncommon to use the term "operation" in place of "binary operation."

And you're absolutely correct: operations are closed if you have a ring, but if "I have a (sub)ring (of another ring)" is what you are trying to prove, then you certainly can't assume closure.

When proving a subring relation, however, you only need to show that the operations are closed, that the set contains all its negatives, and that it is nonempty. Distributivity, associativity, commutativity, etc all come for free if you have a subset, and if it's closed, nonempty, and contains negatives, then it's easy to show that it contains the zero. (a is one of the elements, since it is nonempty. The set then also contains -a, and so it contains a+(-a)=0.)

1. What is the multiplicative closure for subring test?

The multiplicative closure for subring test is a mathematical concept used to determine whether a subset of a ring is also a subring. It states that if a subset of a ring is closed under multiplication, then it is also a subring of that ring.

2. How is the multiplicative closure for subring test used in practice?

The multiplicative closure for subring test is used in abstract algebra to determine whether a given subset of a ring is a subring. It is also used in related fields such as group theory and field theory.

3. What is the difference between a subring and a subset of a ring?

A subset of a ring is simply a collection of elements from that ring, while a subring is a subset that forms a ring in its own right. The multiplicative closure for subring test is used to determine whether a subset is also a subring.

4. How does the multiplicative closure for subring test relate to other closure tests?

The multiplicative closure for subring test is similar to other closure tests, such as the additive closure for subring test and the closure test for groups. These tests all check whether a subset is closed under certain operations, which is a key property for defining mathematical structures like rings and groups.

5. Can the multiplicative closure for subring test be used to prove that a subset is a ring?

No, the multiplicative closure for subring test only determines whether a subset is a subring of a given ring. To prove that a subset is a ring, other properties such as associativity, commutativity, and the existence of an identity element must also be checked.