Multivariable Calculus, plane sketching

In summary, Multivariable Calculus involves the study of functions with more than one independent variable and their derivatives. It utilizes concepts from single-variable calculus, but also introduces new techniques such as partial derivatives and multiple integrals. One important application of Multivariable Calculus is in plane sketching, where it is used to graph surfaces in three-dimensional space. This allows for a better understanding of the relationships between different variables and how they affect the output of a function.
Twice
Member warned that the homework template must be used, together with some effort.
How do I know where to put the axes for the equation 4x^2 - 9y^2 = z when graphing in 3d?

Physics news on Phys.org
Twice said:
How do I know where to put the axes for the equation 4x^2 - 9y^2 = z when graphing in 3d?
That's up to you, which kind of projection you use. I always used
upload_2018-11-8_3-24-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-8_3-23-36.png
    upload_2018-11-8_3-23-36.png
    944 bytes · Views: 274
  • upload_2018-11-8_3-24-3.png
    upload_2018-11-8_3-24-3.png
    397 bytes · Views: 365
Thank you. Can you please explain to me how to sketch the plane on the axes?

Twice said:
Thank you. Can you please explain to me how to sketch the plane on the axes?
Which plane? You have a hyperbolic paraboloid there.
upload_2018-11-8_3-34-27.png

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4x^2+-+9y^2+=+z

Planes are relatively easy to sketch. One uses the intersections with the "three walls" (x=0;y=0;z=0) to get an impression of a plane.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-8_3-34-27.png
    upload_2018-11-8_3-34-27.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 557
Twice said:
Right, thanks, I meant how do I draw the hyperbolic paraboloid on the axes?
That's indeed not an easy task. I would start step by step along different values of ##z##. Maybe you will need to change the order of the coordinates to improve the picture, but that can only be said after you saw what it looks like. The link above got you how it would look like and it's very curved. Maybe there are better graphic programs out there, but I don't know them. (Of course there are, but I meant the freely available ones.)

Last edited:

Attachments

• Nov2018SurfacePlot.png
    Nov2018SurfacePlot.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions with multiple independent variables, allowing for the analysis of more complex phenomena.

What is plane sketching in Multivariable Calculus?

Plane sketching is a method used in Multivariable Calculus to visualize a function of two variables on a two-dimensional plane. It involves plotting points and curves to represent the behavior of the function and can help in understanding its properties and relationships.

What are some applications of Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and even medicine. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, optimize processes, and make predictions based on multiple variables.

What are some important concepts in Multivariable Calculus?

Some important concepts in Multivariable Calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators. These concepts are essential for understanding the behavior of functions with multiple variables and their applications.

What are some tips for sketching planes in Multivariable Calculus?

Some tips for sketching planes in Multivariable Calculus include identifying critical points and asymptotes, using symmetry to simplify the sketch, and paying attention to the behavior of the function along the coordinate axes. It is also helpful to use technology, such as graphing calculators, to aid in the visualization process.