Multivariable Calculus Text: Adams vs Stewart?

In summary, There is a designated textbook for the calc class, Calculus: Several Variables by Robert A. Adams, but Stewart's Multivariable Calculus is also recommended. The speaker has only read Stewart and found that it covers double and triple integrals well, but not other topics such as vector calculus and Green's theorem. They suggest reading Stewart for integrals and then Schey's book for further topics. The speaker also mentions that Stewart has multiple books with different titles but similar content. Another book recommended is Howard Anton's Multivariable Calculus. The speaker owns both Stewart's and Adams' books and finds them useful for problem sets and explaining vector fields. They believe that if Adams' Several Variables book is similar to his Calcul
mattbonner
hi, my calc class' designated textbook is calculus:several variables by robert a. adams.
however, stewarts' multivariable calculus is also recommended.

which one would you recommend out of the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have only read Stewart. As I recall, double and triple integrals are done quite well, but I think the rest is poorly written. Partial derivatives is ok, but he treat vector calculus, Green's theorem, div, grad etc. very poorly in my opinion. But then I have yet to come across a calculus book that does treat it well. I would suggest reading Stewart only as far as double and triple integrals, and then reading Schey's book "Div, Grad, Curl and all That", if you know some basic electrostatics.

Stewart is not bad for an intro to multivariable calculus. My next question is off-topic. Does Stewart produce identical books with different titles? Specfically, his concepts and context single var book is basically his book titled Calculus. Also, his early transcendentals book appears to be his plain Calculus book and his Multivariable Calculus book put into one volume.

I prefer Howard Anton's Multivariable Calclus. I'd recommend that if it is allowed.

I DO own Stewart's book. It is not very clear on some subjects. I use it for its problem sets.

I own one of Adam's calculus books, Calculus a Complete Course. The book is fine and I like its explanation of Vector Fields.

If his Several Variables book is like his Calclus, a Complete Course, than I think it is good to stay with him.

1. What is the difference between Adams and Stewart's Multivariable Calculus texts?

Adams and Stewart's Multivariable Calculus texts cover the same subject matter, but they differ in their approach and style of presentation. Adams' text tends to be more theoretical and rigorous, while Stewart's text focuses more on applications and problem-solving.

2. Which text is better for beginners?

Both texts are suitable for beginners, but Adams' text may be more challenging for those with little prior knowledge of calculus. Stewart's text may be a better choice for those looking for a more approachable introduction to multivariable calculus.

3. Can I use either text for self-study?

Yes, both texts can be used for self-study, but it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and goals. Adams' text may require more dedication and effort, while Stewart's text may be more user-friendly for self-study purposes.

4. Is one text more comprehensive than the other?

In terms of content, both texts cover the same topics and are equally comprehensive. However, as mentioned before, Adams' text may have a more rigorous and in-depth approach, while Stewart's text may have a more practical and applied focus.

5. Which text is more widely used in universities?

Both texts are widely used in universities, and the choice often depends on the preferences of the instructor. Adams' text may be more commonly used in math and science programs, while Stewart's text may be more popular in engineering and business programs.