1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus A Well Written Multivariable Calculus Textbook?

1. Jul 21, 2015 #1
    I'm looking for a well written textbook for multivariable calculus textbook. For single variable I worked with Stewart's calculus mostly and I found it very good. However I took a glance at Stewart's multivariable calculus textbook and I didn't enjoy it. The explanations weren't all that good (I actually skipped the explanations all together and read Paul's online notes instead) and I found the problem selection quite poor, the problems tended to focus more on finding more complex derivatives or integrals rather than ones that could have been made a little simpler and exemplified the new material much better. Stweart's aside I was curious if there were any other textbooks out there worth using, specifically ones for self studying and that include parametric equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2015 #2
    How far do you want to go in multi-variable calculus? Do you want to just learn up to iterated integrals, or do you need up to the classical vector field integral theorems?

4. Jul 21, 2015 #3
    Up to the classical vector field integral theorems is where I would like to get to!

5. Jul 21, 2015 #4
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Jul 21, 2015 #5
    I'd stick with Stewart.

Just because you don't like it does not mean it isn't good for you.

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6
    Hmm. Dr. Courtney is correct. Most general Calculus books are the same. So you have an OK book for that purpose. The recommendation of Larson is unnecessary, it is similar to Stewart.

You can try Simmons Calculus. It is more intuitive and better explained. Lacks Stoke ' s Theorem I believe.
    Or you can try an old copy of thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed. I prefer this ed of thomas.

8. Jul 22, 2015 #7
    Thanks a bunch for the responses! Ill look around a little more I've heard good things from Simmons.

9. Jul 22, 2015 #8
    If you are familiar with electricity and magnetism, then you can try Div, Grad, Curl and All that.

I have a copy in my personal library, I have not read it since I barely started doing multi variable calculus. My friend liked it and swears by it. Said they finally understood the why intuitively after taking a multi variable calculus and EnM together.

I got my copy for 2.99 shipped. Not a big loss if you don't like it.

10. Jul 23, 2015 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted