Multivariable calculus: work in a line segment

In summary: So, we agree that the definition is probably $$\int_{0}^{1} F(\gamma (t)) \gamma ' (t) dt$$, which, after plugging in and dotting, would result in $$\int_{0}^{1} \frac{t-1}{t^2+t+1} dt$$. The substitution $$u=\frac{t^2+t+1}{t-1}$$ works, but it is not a very pleasant one.I'm still not sure how the circle and square help, or what you were doing with them, in your first post.
Granger

Homework Statement

Compute the work of the vector field ##F(x,y)=(\frac{y}{x^2+y^2},\frac{-x}{x^2+y^2})##
in the line segment that goes from (0,1) to (1,0).

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

My attempt (please let me know if there is an easier way to do this)

I applied Green's theorem in the region between the square of vertices (1,0), (0,1), (-1,0), (0,-1), and the circumference centered in the origin with radius 1/2, both clockwise.

Since both lines are clockwise, and because F is field of class ##C^1## then

##\int_C F = \int_S F## (C circumference and S square).

C is then described by the path ##\gamma=(\frac{\cos t}{2},\frac{-\sin t}{2}) t\in]0,2\pi[##

We have ##F(\gamma (t)) \gamma ´(t)=1## so ##\int_C F = 2\pi = \int_S F##

Now because we want only the work in the line segment that goes from (0,1) to (1,0) we divide our result by 4 and obtain ##\frac{\pi}{2}##My doubts here is if this is correct, especially the final step... I also wonder if there was an easier way to approach the problem. I first thought of applying the fundamental theorem of calculus but we can't because F is not conservative. Then I tried the definition but we end up with a hard integral to compute. So I ended up with this...

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Granger said:

Homework Statement

Compute the work of the vector field $F(x,y)=(\frac{y}{x^2+y^2},\frac{-x}{x^2+y^2})$

Homework Equations

I applied Green's theorem in the region between the square of vertices (1,0), (0,1), (-1,0), (0,-1), and the circumference centered in the origin with radius 1/2, both clockwise.

Since both lines are clockwise, and because F is field of class $C^1$ then

$\int_C F = \int_S F$ (C circumference and S square).

C is then described by the path $\gamma=(\frac{\cos t}{2},\frac{-\sin t}{2})$ $t\in]0,2\pi[$

We have $F(\gamma (t)) \gamma ´(t)=1$ so $\int_C F = 2\pi = \int_S F$

Now because we want only the work in the line segment that goes from (0,1) to (1,0) we divide our result by 4 and obtain $\frac{\pi}{2}$My doubts here is if this is correct, especially the final step... I also wonder if there was an easier way to approach the problem. I first thought of applying the fundamental theorem of calculus but we can't because F is not conservative. Then I tried the definition but we end up with a hard integral to compute. So I ended up with this...

Thanks for the help.

Show us the actual integral you get when you apply the definition. I would say that the only correct way to do the problem is by applying the definition; the other things you did have no relation at all to the problem as originally posed.

Likes Granger
You can set [itex]x = r(\theta)\cos\theta[/itex], [itex]y = r (\theta)\sin\theta[/itex] and you don't actually need to know that [itex]r(\theta) = (\cos \theta + \sin \theta)^{-1}[/itex] or what [itex]r'(\theta)[/itex] is, because after multiplying it all out and collecting terms it will simplify considerably.

Likes Granger
Granger said:

Homework Statement

Compute the work of the vector field $F(x,y)=(\frac{y}{x^2+y^2},\frac{-x}{x^2+y^2})$

Homework Equations

You describe the line segment from ##(0,1)## to ##(1,0)##. Presumably a straight line. What does that have to do with the circle and square you describe?
Also, you might edit your post and use double $$ instead of single $'s to display your tex. Or use ##'s for inline.

Likes Granger
Thanks for all the replies. The integral I obtained by definition was $$\int \frac{1}{2t^2-2t+1} dt$$. Any suggestions on how to solve this integral the simplest way?

You haven't answered this question:
LCKurtz said:
You describe the line segment from ##(0,1)## to ##(1,0)##. Presumably a straight line. What does that have to do with the circle and square you describe?
Granger said:
Thanks for all the replies. The integral I obtained by definition was $$\int \frac{1}{2t^2-2t+1} dt$$. Any suggestions on how to solve this integral the simplest way?

I would complete the square in the denominator. But you need to explain to us what integral you are actually calculating and show your steps so we know what you are talking about.

My apologies, the line segment can be described by $$\gamma (t) = (t,1-t)$$ t from 0 to 1.

Then I apply the definition $$ \int F(\gamma (t)) \gamma ' (t) dt$$

Granger said:
My apologies, the line segment can be described by $$\gamma (t) = (t,1-t)$$ t from 0 to 1.

Then I apply the definition $$ \int F(\gamma (t)) \gamma ' (t) dt$$

That definition looks wrong. For example, why could I not take ##\vec{\gamma}(u) = (u^2, 1-u^2)## and then have ##\int_0^1 \vec{F}(\vec{\gamma}(u)) \cdot \vec{\gamma}'(u) \, du##?

Granger said:

Then I apply the definition $$ \int F(\gamma (t)) \color{red}{\cdot} \gamma ' (t) dt$$

OK, that's what I thought you might be doing. That's a dot product in there, which I have inserted.
Ray Vickson said:
That definition looks wrong. For example, why could I not take ##\vec{\gamma}(u) = (u^2, 1-u^2)## and then have ##\int_0^1 \vec{F}(\vec{\gamma}(u)) \cdot \vec{\gamma}'(u) \, du##?

I think you could Ray. Isn't that just a different parameterization?
Anyway @Granger my suggestion earlier still stands. Complete the square and find an appropriate trig substitution and it will all work out.

LCKurtz said:
OK, that's what I thought you might be doing. That's a dot product in there, which I have inserted.

I think you could Ray. Isn't that just a different parameterization?
Anyway @Granger my suggestion earlier still stands. Complete the square and find an appropriate trig substitution and it will all work out.

Yes, it is a different parametrization, but the question I was aiming at was whether that could alter the outcome. I think I know the answer, but I was hoping the OP would ponder the issue.

Ray Vickson said:

Looks wrong? What do you mean? Well I know that with other path the the work is still the same (unless the direction was the opposite, in which we would have the opposite sign).

LCKurtz said:

I'm going to try then, thanks.

Granger said:
Looks wrong? What do you mean? Well I know that with other path the the work is still the same (unless the direction was the opposite, in which we would have the opposite sign).

What I mean is nothing: I was thinking of something else and made a stupid mistake. Your expression is OK, or would be if you could "vectorize" it.

Likes Granger

1. What is multivariable calculus and how is it different from single variable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It is different from single variable calculus in that it involves studying how functions change in multiple dimensions, rather than just one.

2. What is work in a line segment and how is it calculated?

Work in a line segment is a concept in multivariable calculus that involves calculating the amount of work done by a force along a straight line. It is calculated using the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector along the line segment.

3. How is the work done along a line segment affected by the direction and magnitude of the force?

The work done along a line segment is directly affected by the direction and magnitude of the force. A larger force or a force in the same direction as the displacement will result in a greater amount of work, while a smaller force or a force in the opposite direction will result in less work.

4. What is the relationship between work in a line segment and the area under a curve?

The work done along a line segment is equal to the area under the curve of the force function. This is due to the fact that the area under a curve can be interpreted as the accumulated work done by a variable force.

5. How is multivariable calculus used in real-world applications?

Multivariable calculus has many real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables, making it an essential tool in many scientific and technological fields.