Vector equation of line segment

In summary, my text explains that a line segment is given by the equation r=(1-t)r0+tr1 such that 0<=t<=1. t must be between 0 and 1 in order to find the line segment.
nameVoid
my text explains that a line segment is given by the equation r=(1-t)r0+tr1
such that 0<=t<=1

now i see how this formula is derived however i am not clear on why t must be between 0 and 1 if this is the equation for a line segment

Physics news on Phys.org
t is chosen in [0,1] so that ro and r1 are the endpoints. We can take t in [a,b] then we have
r=(a+b-t)r0+tr1
then the endpoints are
br0+ar1
ar0+br1

if i were to derive this formula
so we have

vector r0 and vector r1 and want the equation of the line through the tip of r and r1 well in this case we can take the direction vector to be r1-r0 and replacing v with this in the equation r=r0+tv we have r=r0+t(r1-r0) and the we have r=r0(1-t)+tr1 this should work for any two vectors from the origin to the line why does the value of t need to be between 0 and 1

Last edited:
It does not need to be between 0 and 1 it is just convenient we can have

$$t \in [a,b] \\ \vec{r}=\vec{r_0}+\left( \frac{t-a}{b-a} \right) ^{192435341024} \vec{r_1}$$

we can have the probability of getting heads when flipping a coin be 137.
It is convenient to consider [0,1] so that the value equals the ratio.
Nothing more nothing less.

what if we are to choose a value of t that point outside of the segment how are we to know what values of t are contained within the segment

Your question isn't clearly stated. If t is negative or greater than 1, then we are identifying a point on the extended line segment. So what is the question you want clarified?

nameVoid said:
what if we are to choose a value of t that point outside of the segment how are we to know what values of t are contained within the segment
Consider the distances from r = r0+t(r1-r0) to each of r0, r1. For r to be on the line segment, each distance must be <= |r1-r0|. What range does that give for t?

ok this makes sense here we plug the the vectors into the equations and solve for t i see

i have also posted another question about distance between lines

What is a vector equation of line segment?

A vector equation of line segment is a mathematical expression that describes the position of a point on a line segment in terms of a starting point and a direction vector.

How is a vector equation of line segment different from a parametric equation?

A vector equation of line segment uses a starting point and a direction vector, while a parametric equation uses a starting point and two direction vectors.

How do you find the vector equation of a line segment given two points?

To find the vector equation of a line segment given two points, subtract the coordinates of the first point from the second point to get the direction vector, and then use the first point as the starting point in the equation.

Can a vector equation of line segment be used to represent a curved line?

No, a vector equation of line segment can only represent a straight line.

What is the importance of vector equations in real-world applications?

Vector equations are important in real-world applications because they can be used to describe the motion of objects and the forces acting on them in a precise and efficient way.