1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector equation of line segment

1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    my text explains that a line segment is given by the equation r=(1-t)r0+tr1
    such that 0<=t<=1

now i see how this formula is derived however i am not clear on why t must be between 0 and 1 if this is the equation for a line segment

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

t is chosen in [0,1] so that ro and r1 are the endpoints. We can take t in [a,b] then we have
    r=(a+b-t)r0+tr1
    then the endpoints are
    br0+ar1
    ar0+br1

4. Jun 21, 2013 #3
    if i were to derive this formula
    so we have

vector r0 and vector r1 and want the equation of the line through the tip of r and r1 well in this case we can take the direction vector to be r1-r0 and replacing v with this in the equation r=r0+tv we have r=r0+t(r1-r0) and the we have r=r0(1-t)+tr1 this should work for any two vectors from the origin to the line why does the value of t need to be between 0 and 1

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  5. Jun 21, 2013 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It does not need to be between 0 and 1 it is just convenient we can have

$$t \in [a,b] \\ \vec{r}=\vec{r_0}+\left( \frac{t-a}{b-a} \right) ^{192435341024} \vec{r_1}$$

we can have the probability of getting heads when flipping a coin be 137.
    It is convenient to consider [0,1] so that the value equals the ratio.
    Nothing more nothing less.

6. Jun 21, 2013 #5
    what if we are to choose a value of t that point outside of the segment how are we to know what values of t are contained within the segment

7. Jun 21, 2013 #6
    Your question isn't clearly stated. If t is negative or greater than 1, then we are identifying a point on the extended line segment. So what is the question you want clarified?

8. Jun 21, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consider the distances from r = r0+t(r1-r0) to each of r0, r1. For r to be on the line segment, each distance must be <= |r1-r0|. What range does that give for t?

9. Jun 21, 2013 #8
    ok this makes sense here we plug the the vectors into the equations and solve for t i see

10. Jun 21, 2013 #9
    i have also posted another question about distance between lines

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted