Evaluate line segment C from P to Q

• Thread starter Phil Frehz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the problem involves evaluating the line integral ∫C F⋅dr along the line segment from point P (-4,4) to point Q(-4,5), where F(x,y) = 8 i + 8 j. The limits of the curve can be found by creating a vector PQ and using parametric equations to find the values of t. The result is ∫C 8dt, which simplifies to 8.
Phil Frehz

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫C F⋅dr along the line segment C from P to Q

F(x,y) = 8 i + 8 j ; P (-4,4) , Q (-4,5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I got most of the work done but I am have trouble finding the limits of the curve.

What I have done was create a vector v=PQ= <0,1>. I then made the parametric equations:

x = -4
y= 4 + t

I then derived x & y to get a dr(t) = dt j

F dot dr gives me 8dt... combining everything I get ∫C 8dt.

To find the limits of C I plugged Q into the parametric equations to give me values of t which were 0 & 1.

Attached is my work to clarify, not sure if correct.

Attachments

• IMG_20150726_190108.jpg
    IMG_20150726_190108.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,142
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result is correct, but you do not need to integrate, as it is a constant force.

Likes Phil Frehz

1. What is the purpose of evaluating a line segment?

Evaluating a line segment is important in order to understand its characteristics, such as length, slope, and position in relation to other points or lines. This information can be used in various mathematical and scientific applications.

2. How is line segment C from P to Q evaluated?

To evaluate line segment C from P to Q, the coordinates of points P and Q are used to calculate the length of the line segment using the distance formula. The slope of the line segment can also be determined by finding the change in y over the change in x between points P and Q.

3. Can line segment C from P to Q be evaluated in 3-dimensional space?

Yes, line segment C from P to Q can be evaluated in 3-dimensional space by using the 3-dimensional distance formula and considering the z-coordinate in addition to the x and y coordinates.

4. What information can be obtained by evaluating line segment C from P to Q?

By evaluating line segment C from P to Q, you can determine its length, slope, and direction. This information can be used in geometry, physics, engineering, and other fields.

5. How is the evaluation of line segment C from P to Q useful in real-world applications?

The evaluation of line segment C from P to Q is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating distances in navigation, determining the slope of a hill for construction projects, and analyzing the movement of objects in physics problems.