Multivariable factor decomposition

In summary: You are trying to decompose a fraction by finding two constants A and B such that the fraction can be written as the sum of two fractions with denominators x+y and x-y. However, this is not possible for all values of x and y, so your decomposition attempt is not correct. You need to find a different approach.
epkid08
(Keep in mind, I made this off the top of my head, so if something cancels easy, ignore it)

Let's say I had this expression:

[tex]f(x,y)=\frac{y^2-xy+1}{(x+y)(x-y)}[/tex]

I want to decompose this to:

[tex]\frac{A}{x+y} + \frac{B}{x-y}[/tex]

So i begin the process:
[tex]y^2-xy+1=A(x-y) + B(x+y)[/tex]
[tex]y^2-xy+1=x(A+B) + y(B-A)[/tex]At this point, I can't just plug in random numbers, I need to plug in points that correspond to this point:
[tex](\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y})[/tex]

So I would pick a point, say (1,1), plug it into [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex] to get the x coordinate of a point, [tex]P_1[/tex], then I would plug in the same point, (1,1), into [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex] to get the y coordinate of the [tex]P_1[/tex]. After I get two points,[tex]P_1[/tex] and [tex]P_2[/tex], I can plug them into the equation and solve the system to find A and B.

My question is, is this the right process to decompose the fraction, or am I way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
epkid08 said:
Let's say I had this expression:

[tex]f(x,y)=\frac{y^2-xy+1}{(x+y)(x-y)}[/tex]

I want to decompose this to:

[tex]\frac{A}{x+y} + \frac{B}{x-y}[/tex]

So i begin the process:
[tex]y^2-xy+1=x(A+B) + y(B-A)[/tex]

At this point you see a problem. There does not exist such numbers A and B that the last equation would be true for all x and y. It follows that your decomposition attempt doesn't work.

At this point, I can't just plug in random numbers, I need to plug in points that correspond to this point:
[tex](\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y})[/tex]

What points are you talking about?

My question is, is this the right process to decompose the fraction, or am I way off?

I did not understand your process, but since the task you are trying to do is impossible, I might guess your process was not right.

epkid08 said:
So i begin the process:
[tex]y^2-xy+1=x(A+B) + y(B-A)[/tex]

Why are you messing with partials? Let x = y in the first expression and you get

[tex] x^2 - x^2 + 1 = 2Bx \Rightarrow B = \frac{1}{2x} [/tex]

Similarly let x = -y and you get

[tex] x^2 + x^2 + 1 = 2Ax \Rightarrow A = x^{2} + \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

1. What is multivariable factor decomposition?

Multivariable factor decomposition is a statistical method used to break down a set of data into its underlying factors or components. It is often used to understand the relationships between multiple variables and how they contribute to overall trends or patterns.

2. How is multivariable factor decomposition different from other statistical methods?

Multivariable factor decomposition differs from other methods, such as regression or correlation analysis, in that it takes into account multiple variables simultaneously. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the relationships between the variables and their contributions to the overall data set.

3. What are some common applications of multivariable factor decomposition?

Multivariable factor decomposition is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, and marketing to analyze complex data sets and identify underlying factors that drive trends and patterns. It can also be used in scientific research to understand the relationships between various experimental variables.

4. What are the main steps involved in performing multivariable factor decomposition?

The main steps involved in multivariable factor decomposition include data collection and preparation, selecting an appropriate decomposition method, determining the number of factors to be extracted, and interpreting and analyzing the results.

5. What are some potential limitations of multivariable factor decomposition?

One potential limitation of multivariable factor decomposition is the potential for overfitting or extracting too many factors, which can lead to spurious results. It also assumes that the underlying factors are linearly related to the variables, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the interpretation of the results can be subjective and may require expert knowledge in the specific field of study.