1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable factor decomposition

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    (Keep in mind, I made this off the top of my head, so if something cancels easy, ignore it)

Let's say I had this expression:

[tex]f(x,y)=\frac{y^2-xy+1}{(x+y)(x-y)}[/tex]

I want to decompose this to:

[tex]\frac{A}{x+y} + \frac{B}{x-y}[/tex]

So i begin the process:
    [tex]y^2-xy+1=A(x-y) + B(x+y)[/tex]
    [tex]y^2-xy+1=x(A+B) + y(B-A)[/tex]

At this point, I can't just plug in random numbers, I need to plug in points that correspond to this point:
    [tex](\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y})[/tex]

So I would pick a point, say (1,1), plug it into [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex] to get the x coordinate of a point, [tex]P_1[/tex], then I would plug in the same point, (1,1), into [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex] to get the y coordinate of the [tex]P_1[/tex]. After I get two points,[tex]P_1[/tex] and [tex]P_2[/tex], I can plug them into the equation and solve the system to find A and B.

My question is, is this the right process to decompose the fraction, or am I way off?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2
    At this point you see a problem. There does not exist such numbers A and B that the last equation would be true for all x and y. It follows that your decomposition attempt doesn't work.

What points are you talking about?

I did not understand your process, but since the task you are trying to do is impossible, I might guess your process was not right.

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3
    Why are you messing with partials? Let x = y in the first expression and you get

[tex] x^2 - x^2 + 1 = 2Bx \Rightarrow B = \frac{1}{2x} [/tex]

Similarly let x = -y and you get

[tex] x^2 + x^2 + 1 = 2Ax \Rightarrow A = x^{2} + \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?